True Belgian waffles use yeast to get their signature airy interiors. Try this authentic version with whipped cream and strawberries or a simple dusting of powdered sugar.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup plus 2 3/4 cups warm milk, divided
- 3 eggs, divided
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk.
- Beat the egg whites just until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the remaining milk, the melted butter and the sugar.
- Add the yeast mixture, salt, vanilla, and then alternate between the flour and remaining milk.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the waffle batter.
- Cover the batter without touching it, and then set it in a warm place to rise until it doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
- Cook in a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|