This Berry Vegan Scone Recipe can be made with the assorted dried berries and the citrus zest of your choosing. I used raisins, dried cherries, dried cranberries and dried black currants with grapefruit zest, but you can mix and match based on your tastes or what you have on hand.
Just like in my Vegan Coconut Scones recipe, the secret ingredient in this vegan scones recipe is virgin coconut oil. It gives these scones their light, crumbly texture and subtle coconut-vanilla flavor.
For an added treat, serve Berry Vegan Scones with jam and coffee or one of my top ten teas for afternoon tea.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra for kneading the dough) (For best results, sift or spoon the flour into the measuring cup.)
- 1 1/2 cups dried berries (Chop larger berries, like cherries, if desired.)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon citrus zest (such as lemon, orange, grapefruit or tangerine)
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- About 1 1/2 cups almond milk or other milk substitute
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the dry ingredients (flour, dried berries, sugar, baking powder, salt and citrus zest).
- Use your hands or a spoon to mix in the virgin coconut oil.
- Add the vanilla extract and then slowly mix in the almond milk or other milk substitute, working the dough as little as possible, until you have a dough that just barely sticks together.
- Turn the dough out on a heavily floured cutting board.
- Knead the dough slightly. When it is done, it should be easy to handle and smooth.
- Gently pat the dough to two 1.5–inch thick discs.
- Cut each disc into 6 pieces.
- Transfer the scones to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- (Optional) For lighter, fluffier scones, place the baking sheet into the freezer for about five minutes immediately before baking.
- Sprinkle the scones with extra sugar and then bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden. (Optional: Turn pan halfway through baking.)
- Cool on the baking sheet.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|