The bésame, which translates from Spanish to "kiss me," is one of the best cocktails for romantic occasions. It features Agavero, an ultra-smooth tequila-based liqueur. Along with passion fruit juice and raspberries, this drink may just be the key to getting your date to pucker up.
Agavero is flavored with the essence of the Damiana flower. Known in Mexico for centuries as a potent aphrodisiac, the flower is infused into a blend of reposado and añejo tequilas made from 100% blue agave. The liqueur has a sweet agave nectar-like taste with herbal and floral accents.
This cocktail is a fantastic introduction to Agavero. It's paired with fresh limes and raspberries, gets a tropical twist from passion fruit, and is finished off with a bit of raspberry liqueur. Easy to mix up, it's a lovely, refreshing drink to share with that special someone in your life.
Gather the ingredients.
Add the Agavero and passion fruit juice, then a splash of Chambord.
Fill the shaker with ice and shake well.
Pour everything (without straining) into a highball glass.
Serve and enjoy!
- If you like, build this drink in a glass, then mix it by rolling it between two glasses. It's a fun bartending technique that puts on a bit of a show but requires some practice to pull off without spilling.
- Passion fruit juice is not the most common type of juice. You can typically find it from brands like Maguary and Goya, either online or with natural or international foods at a grocer. It's also sometimes available as a frozen concentrate or you can juice fresh passion fruit.
- If you're going to use frozen raspberries, thaw the berries first so they're easier to muddle.
- Make the drink a little more refreshing by cutting the passion fruit juice in half and making up the volume with a light soda (e.g., club soda, ginger ale).
- A very similar drink to this, you can also mix up a raspberry mojito. The only differences are that the mojito uses rum and adds mint and ginger ale, skipping the passion fruit. Agavero would be rather nice in that recipe as a rum substitute.
How Strong Is a Bésame?
This cocktail is filled with flavor but is delightfully light on the alcohol. Agavero's bottled at 64 proof and the drink mixes up to just 16 proof (8 percent ABV). That's lighter than a glass of wine, so it's a perfectly casual cocktail.