The pie is baked in a pastry crust.
Unfortunately, custard-based pies don't freeze well, but it probably won't last long anyway!
Use a frozen prepared crust, a refrigerated pie dough, or your favorite homemade pie pastry.
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (or margarine, melted)
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups grated coconut (3 ounces)
- 1 Pinch salt
- 1 unbaked pie pastry (9-inch)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180° C/Gas 4).
- In a mixing bowl combine the beaten eggs with the sugar, butter, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt; mix well. Stir in coconut; pour into pie shell and bake for 30 minutes.
- Shield the crust edge with a pie shield ring or fashion one with aluminum foil and place over the edge. Bake for 10 to 20 minutes longer, until the filling is set and no longer jiggly.
- As the pie bakes, a golden topping will form on the surface.
- Chill thoroughly before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|