We independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you click on links we provide, we may receive compensation. Learn more.
Since “healthy” is a broad concept, meal delivery services vary considerably in their approach. Some focus on health from a scientific standpoint, while others are more holistic.
Regardless of the specific philosophy, the aim is the same—to allow you to enjoy the many benefits of a healthier diet, in a convenient, customizable, and cost-effective way. The best healthy meal delivery services do just that. No matter which healthy-eating goals you’d like to achieve, odds are there’s a meal delivery service that can help.
Best Healthy Meal Delivery Services of 2023
- Best Overall: Sunbasket
- Best Value: Daily Harvest
- Best Variety: Hungryroot
- Best Organic: Green Chef
- Best Vegan: Splendid Spoon
- Best for Families: Purple Carrot
- Best Gluten-Free: ModifyHealth
- Best Prepared Meals: Territory
- Best for Weight Loss: BistroMD
Best Overall : Sunbasket
- Starting Price: $9.99
- Serving Sizes: 1 - 2
- Number Of Recipes: 43
Sunbasket caters to many diets, has a huge variety of meals and add-ons, and focuses on using organic and sustainably-sourced products.
Wide selection of proteins
Lots of add-ons
Offers kits and fully prepped meals
No free shipping when promos end
Sunbasket specializes in meal kits but extends its offerings into fully-prepped single-serving meals and a large collection of third-party add-ons, like pressed juices, egg bites, instant noodle bowls, and snacks. It’s almost like an online bodega. The kits and prepped meals (Sunbasket calls them Fresh & Ready) are all lunch and dinner dishes. While subscription settings max out at five meals per week, you can manually order many more—up to eight units of each two-serving meal kit or Fresh & Ready meal on the company’s large menu.
Learn More: Read Our Sunbasket Review.
- Meal Kits: start at $11.49 per serving (price varies depending on selection)
- Fresh & Ready Meals: start at $9.99 per serving (price varies depending on selection)
- Sea scallops over fresh fettuccine with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach
- Snapper with romesco, vegetables, and almonds
- Burmese chicken and sweet potato curry
- Sirloin strip tacos with zucchini scallion salsa
- Broccoli mac and cheese
- Chicken chow mein with broccoli, mushroom, and toasted garlic
- Beef donburi rice bowl with edamame and kimchi-lime vegetables
- Burrito bowl al pastor with plant-based Impossible Beef
Best Value : Daily Harvest
- Starting Price: $6.29
- Number Of Recipes: 90
With a low per-serving price of $5.99, Daily Harvest is a great choice for the budget-conscious consumer.
Smaller serving sizes
Does not offer animal protein
Daily Harvest offers smoothies, “harvest bowls,” flatbreads, soups, “forager bowls,” chia bowls, lattes, oat bowls, non-dairy ice creams, and more. All products are shipped frozen, which the company says helps to preserve freshness and nutritional content. The company says, "the vast majority of the ingredients they use are organic," and the ingredient lists indicate which are organic and which are not. The site is well-designed and the menu can be filtered according to likes, dislikes, and dietary needs. All dishes are single-serving.
Learn More: Read Our Daily Harvest Review.
There are three subscription levels:
- Small box, 9-11 items: $5 discount
- Medium box, 12-23 items: $10 discount
- Large box 24-26 items: $25 discount
Per-item pricing is as follows:
- Lattes: $5.99
- Forager Bowls: $6.79
- Mylk & Bites: $7.99
- Smoothies & Soups: $8.49
- Scoops: $8.99
- Harvest Bowls & Flatbreads: $9.79
- Harvest Bake: $11.99
Each discount applies to the grand total of all items you select. When you sign up, your first order becomes your default order, which will recur weekly until you change or cancel.
- Mint and cacao smoothie
- Mango papaya smoothie
- Hazelnut and chocolate bites
- Tomatillo and pepper flatbread
- Portobello and pesto flatbread
- Sweet potato and wild rice hash
- Brussels sprouts and tahini harvest bowl
- Spinach and shiitake grits
Best Variety : Hungryroot
- Starting Price: $9.69
- Serving Sizes: 2 - 4
- Number Of Recipes: 3000
Use promo code SPRUCE30OFF to receive 30% off + free gift in every box.
Hungryroot delivers a personalized weekly supply of healthy groceries with matching recipes to help you create beautiful meals.
Large collection of simple recipes
Free shipping over $70
Totally personalized plan
Available by subscription only
Grocery selection lacks some staples
Some may find credit system confusing
Hungryroot works a little differently from most meal delivery services. Rather than shipping prepped meals or meal kits, the company delivers healthy groceries and simple recipes, all based on your preferences. Hungryroot has many of the ingredients you would expect to find in a grocery store, though customers may have trouble finding certain items, like fresh herbs and spices. The recipes won’t call for anything not included in your deliveries (besides oil, salt, and pepper), but that doesn’t mean you can’t add your own touches.
Learn More: Read Our Hungryroot Review.
Meals start at $9.69; plan on a minimum of $70 an order per week to obtain free shipping. For orders less than $70, shipping is $6.99. Pricing is as follows:
- 2 servings with 8 recipes: $9.69 per serving
- 2 servings with 7 recipes: $9.69 per serving
- 2 servings with 6 recipes: $10.29 per serving
- 2 servings with 5 recipes: $10.89 per serving
- 2 servings with 4 recipes: $11.39 per serving
- 2 servings with 3 recipes: $11.39 per serving
- 4 servings with 4 recipes: $9.69 per serving
- 4 servings with 3 recipes: $9.69 per serving
- 4 servings with 2 recipes: $10.29 per serving
- Spinach artichoke and mushroom tortelloni
- Roasted salmon and sweet potato on Brussels
- Southwest chicken and rainbow veggie tacos
- Thai peanut beef and broccoli stir-fry
Best Organic : Green Chef
- Starting Price: $11.99
- Serving Sizes: 2 - 6
- Number Of Recipes: 31
The majority of Green Chef’s impressive weekly menu is dedicated to meal kits made with organic ingredients that come together for flavorful, plant-forward meals.
Certified organic sourcing
Diverse, interesting menu
Green Chef's certified organic status and roster of sustainably sourced ingredients set it apart from the rest. The rotating weekly menu includes 30 globally inspired recipes featuring house spice blends and sauces to add flavor. Meals accommodate multiple dietary plans and preferences, including keto, paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. Additionally, Green Chef is both plastic and carbon offset, making it a sustainable option in addition to being a convenient one.
Learn More: Read Our Green Chef Review.
- 3 meals with 2 servings each: $13.49 per serving
- 4 meals with 2 servings each: $12.99 per serving
- 3 meals with 4 servings each: $12.49 per serving
- 4 meals with 4 servings each: $11.99 per serving
- 3 meals with 6 servings each: $11.99 per serving
- 4 meals with 6 servings each: $11.99 per serving
- Shipping: $8.99
- Harissa-spiced shrimp
- Sesame ginger bavette steak and shrimp
- Middle Eastern-style chickpea bowls
- Maple glazed carrots with figs
Best Vegan : Splendid Spoon
- Starting Price: $10
- Number Of Recipes: 65
With its variety of plant-based foods that are all gluten-free and non-GMO, Splendid Spoon is our highest-scoring vegan meal delivery service.
Large rotating menu
Totally vegan and gluten-free
Not all organic ingredients
Limited menu filters for dietary needs
Only single-serving meals
Splendid spoon is totally vegan with 100% plant-based meals; there are no animal products of any kind. The company’s menu is divided into five subsections: Dishes, Noodle Bowls, Soup & Grain Bowls, Smoothies, Extras (including items like bars and juice shots), and limited-time Seasonal Meals. You can filter the menu according to types of dishes, ingredients you’d like to avoid, and two dietary needs: low sodium and blood sugar-friendly. All meals are single-serving. The bowls ship frozen, and smoothies ship in cold packs.
Learn More: Read Our Splendid Spoon Review.
Splendid Spoon offers a variety of plans, and customers can choose to have their meals delivered weekly, biweekly, or on a monthly basis. Some sample meal plans include:
- 7-Meal Plan, $97.42/week
- 14-Meal Plan: $156.36/week
- 28-Meal Plan: $226.79/week
You customize your box after checkout. This becomes your default weekly order, which you can edit, if you like, at any time. You can skip weeks or pause/cancel at any time. Splendid Spoon ships to the lower 48 United States. Shipping is free over 10 meal items.
- Cacao almond
- Blackberry basil
- Green matcha
- Power greens
- Raspberry cacao
- Red lentil dal
- Green tomatillo chili
- Lentil and kale
- Kimchi fried quinoa
- Cauliflower tikka
- Cauliflower potato
- Butternut turmeric
- Garden minestrone
Best for Families : Purple Carrot
- Starting Price: $11
- Serving Sizes: 2 - 4
- Number Of Recipes: 27
Purple Carrot offers up to four servings of each meal in its meal kits and prepared dishes, making it our healthy, plant-based pick for families.
Both recipe kits and prepared meals
100% vegan meals
Globally inspired flavors
Whether you’re wanting to go fully plant-based, or just looking to add more meat-free meals to your weekly lineup, Purple Carrot makes it easy. The service offers both meal kits and prepared meals, and even offers a few add-ons to help stock your “plantry.” Customers can choose from meal kits or prepared meals, two or four servings, and whether they would prefer three or four meals per week. The range of flavor options and convenience make Purple Carrot our pick for families who want quick, healthy meals.
Learn More: Read Our Purple Carrot Review.
Purple Carrot’s pricing starts at $13.25 per serving; shipping is $10 for orders under $99, and there are discounts if you opt to subscribe to a recurring meal delivery service, which can be paused or canceled at any time.
- Sesame orange tofu with roasted green beans and sticky rice
- Curry roasted cauliflower with masala chickpeas and ginger cucumber salsa
- Rajas tacos with avocado and roasted corn salsa
- Peanut noodles with gingered edamame and braised tofu
- Creamy mac and cheese with peso peas and sun-dried tomatoes
- Spelt risotto with summer vegetable caponata
- Chilled curried chickpea salad with dates and quinoa red pepper pilaf
- Tofu palak paneer with carrot biryani
Best Gluten-Free : ModifyHealth
- Starting Price: $12.95
Customers with gluten sensitivities or allergies are in good hands with ModifyHealth; all of its meals are 100% gluten-free.
Meals are gluten-free and low-sodium
Menu developed with physicians, dietitians, and chefs
Meals stay fresh up to 10 days in the refrigerator
Only two meal plans available (low-FODMAP and Mediterranean)
ModifyHealth creates meals designed to support customers suffering from gastroenterological, digestive, and inflammation issues, and creates its menu in collaboration with dietitians and chefs. The menu features low-FODMAP and Mediterranean meal plans with breakfast, lunch, and dinner options, all of which are gluten-free and low in sodium. With dietitian support available, this service is dedicated to improving gut and chronic health issues.
- Low-FODMAP per breakfast: $9.99
- Low-FODMAP entree: $12.95
- Low-FODMAP Program: $399 and up
- Mediterranean Plan Entrées (6 meal minimum): $12.95 per meal
- Mediterranean Get Well Program: $399 and up
- Greek chicken and rice
- Longevity stew with black-eyed peas and kale
- Shrimp chimichurri with black beans and rice
- Lemon thyme chicken with tahini cauliflower and za'atar quinoa
- Blackened salmon with quinoa, broccoli, and red bell pepper
- Roasted pistachio salmon with white beans and kale
Best Prepared Meals : Territory
- Starting Price: $11.95
- Number Of Recipes: 35
Territory works with registered dietitians, restaurateurs, and chefs in local commercial kitchens to create nutritious, single-serving prepared meals.
Emphasis on sustainability
Limited delivery area
Territory Foods' emphasis is on curating meals that are gluten-, dairy-, and refined sugar-free. Based on your location and zip code, you can choose four to 12 meals from a rotating weekly menu that you can filter according to your dietary preferences, such as Whole30, paleo, keto-friendly, and vegan. Meals are designed by dietitians and created by regional chefs in commercial kitchens or restaurants, keeping the menu fresh and interesting. The company uses sustainably-sourced, seasonal ingredients, and meals are delivered in recyclable and compostable packaging.
Learn More: Read Our Territory Review.
Due to the availability of local ingredients, pricing will vary, but meals start at $11.95 per serving.
- Beef birria de res with salsa rojo
- Salmon and spinach croquette with arugula salad and lemon caper vinaigrette
- Chicken shawarma quinoa bowl with pickled red onions and tahini sauce
- “Sattvik” red dal kitchari with coconut yogurt and turmeric cauliflower
Best for Weight Loss : BistroMD
- Starting Price: $10.99
- Number Of Recipes: 150
BistroMD offers physician-designed programs, including plans geared specifically towards weight loss.
Science-backed weight loss approach
Provides breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
Few plant-based options
Relatively static menu
Can’t choose your delivery day
BistroMD was founded by husband and wife team Ed and Caroline Cederquist. He’s the CEO and resident foodie, and she’s a bariatric physician. The company provides breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, delivering frozen, fully-prepped, single-serving meals optimized for weight loss without compromising flavor or satisfaction. The macronutrient content of the meals is precisely balanced and optimized for sustainable weight loss. There’s a women’s plan and a men’s plan, each with a different total calorie count, and every plan comes with dietitian support.
Learn More: Read Our BistroMD Review.
BistroMD offers six plans: signature, gluten-free, heart-healthy, diabetic, keto flex, and menopause. The company also has a snack program, called EATS (Essential And Tasty Snacks), available as an add-on. You can order either the full program or just lunch and dinner.
- 5 days of lunch and dinner: starts at $189.95
- 7 days of lunch and dinner: starts at $219.80
The company often offers discounts, so you may be able to sign up at a lower cost. BistroMD ships frozen meals via FedEx anywhere in the continental U.S. for a flat of $19.95.
- Chicken, rice, and cheddar casserole
- Salmon with dill mustard sauce
- Turkey breaks with cranberry apple chutney
- Oven-fried catfish with spicy tomato leek sauce
- Baked pasta marinara with chicken sausage
- Meatloaf with honey bourbon glaze
- Mojo pork with black beans and rice
- Chicken pad thai
- Grilled salmon with creamy pesto
- Lasagna with garden marinara
We chose Sunbasket as the best overall service because the company is focused on healthy food and it scored highly with our testers. We think that for most people, Sunbasket provides the ideal balance of convenience, cost, customization, and variety.
Compare the Best Healthy Meal Delivery Services
|Company||Starting Price||Delivery Area||Products Arrive||Can Customers Choose Delivery Date?||Free Shipping?|
|Sunbasket Best Overall||$9.99 per serving||45 states||Fresh||Yes||No|
|Daily Harvest Best Value||$5.99 per serving||48 states||Frozen||Yes||Yes|
|Hungryroot Best Variety||$9.69 per serving||48 states||Fresh||Yes||Yes, for orders over $70|
|Green Chef Best Organic||$11.99 per serving||48 states||Fresh||Yes||No|
|Splendid Spoon Best Vegan||$13 per serving||48 states||Frozen||Yes||Yes (for over 10 meals)|
|Purple Carrot Best for Families||$13.25 per serving||50 states||Fresh||No||No|
|ModifyHealth Best Gluten-Free||$12.95 per serving||48 states||Fresh||No||Yes|
|Territory Best Prepared Meals||$11.95 per serving||27 states||Fresh||Yes||No|
|BistroMD Best for Weight Loss||$10.99 per serving||48 states||Frozen||No||No|
Guide for Choosing the Best Healthy Meal Delivery Services
Are Healthy Meal Delivery Services Right for You?
There are definitely pros and cons to weigh when deciding if a healthy meal delivery service is right for you.
Reduced stress and responsibility
Increased free time
Potential health and nutritional improvement
Potential cost savings over restaurants and takeout
Higher cost than DIY meal prep
Potential for hassles and disappointments
Given the large number of competent services on the market, as well as the ubiquity of new-customer discounts, we think meal delivery services, in general, are worth trying at least once. And if you’re going to try it, why not make it healthy?
Comparing Healthy Meal Delivery Services
To compare competing services, compare these points of difference:
- Price: Most services are weekly subscriptions with recurring charges. What is the price per serving, and how many servings per week do you require? And don’t forget about shipping costs.
- Diet and Variety: Typically, the more diets a service accommodates, the fewer selections it offers for each. Conversely, the more a company focuses on one type of diet, the more options you’ll have to choose from. What is your ideal balance between adherence to a diet/lifestyle and having a large menu from which to choose?
- Flexibility: Can you choose your delivery day? Can you still use the service when traveling? Try to get a sense of how the service will fit into your schedule and lifestyle.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Meal Delivery Service?
With a meal delivery service subscription plan, the company preps and delivers the ingredients for you to prepare their recipes at home.
Does a Meal Delivery Service Require a Minimum Number of Meals Purchased?
Minimums depend on the meal delivery service as each has different options.
Can I Put a Vacation Hold on a Meal Delivery Service?
Most meal delivery services offer the option to put your order on hold while on vacation.
How Much Does a Meal Delivery Service Cost?
Prices vary depending on the company, number of meals ordered, and ingredients used in the recipe. Expect to pay around $6 per serving on the low end and up to $26 or more per serving on the high end.
Our testers ordered from, cooked, and rated 40 different meal delivery services. We carefully scored each one based on meal selection, nutritional information, sustainability, and customer service, as well as the flavor, freshness, and quality of each meal and ingredient. Our Spruce Eats tester panel includes dietitians, chefs, and longtime food writers. The one thing they all have in common is their passion for and knowledge of food.