Our editors independently research, test, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. We may receive commissions on purchases made from our chosen links.
An organic meal delivery service sources as many of its ingredients as possible from certified organic suppliers, allowing you to have the convenience and enjoyment of meal delivery while also enjoying the potential benefits of eating organic food—a list that includes more nutrients and fewer chemicals.
The best organic meal delivery services source the highest percentage of organic ingredients without compromising other important aspects of your eating experience. Meal delivery is largely a logistics business. What good is organic if prices are sky high and the supply chain can’t deliver your meals on time? It’s a tricky balance to strike, but we think we found the services that pull it off.
Best Organic Meal Delivery Services of 2023
- Best Certified Organic: Green Chef
- Best Low-Carb: Fresh n' Lean
- Best Splurge: Sakara Life
- Best Budget-Friendly: Daily Harvest
- Best Variety: Sunbasket
- Best Plant-Based: Veestro
- Our Top Picks
- Green Chef
- Fresh n' Lean
- Sakara Life
- Daily Harvest
- See More (3)
Best Certified Organic : Green Chef
- Starting Price: $11.99
- Serving Sizes: 2 - 6
- Number Of Recipes: 31
A certified organic company, Green Chef stands out from the rest with its variety of flavorful, chef-curated meals that cater to multiple dietary preferences.
Certified organic produce and eggs
Good flavor variety
Max of only four meals per week
No free shipping
Founded in 2014 and headquartered in Boulder, Colorado, Green Chef was the first certified organic meal kit delivery service on the market. The company specializes in delivering healthful, sustainable, and simple-to-prepare meal kits made with organic produce and quality proteins. Green Chef’s entrees accommodate a variety of dietary preferences, including vegan, keto, paleo, and gluten-free. In addition, the company states that its carbon footprint is 25% lower than traditional grocery stores, making it a great choice for sustainability purposes.
Learn More: Read Our Green Chef Review.
- 3 meals with 2 servings each: $13.49 per serving
- 4 meals with 2 servings each: $12.99 per serving
- 2 meals with 4 servings each: $12.99 per serving
- 3 meals with 4 servings each: $12.49 per serving
- 4 meals with 4 servings each: $11.99 per serving
- 3 meals with 6 servings each: $11.99 per serving
- 4 meals with 6 servings each: $11.99 per serving
Shipping is $9.99.
- Harissa-spiced shrimp
- Sesame ginger bavette steak and shrimp
- Middle Eastern-style chickpea bowls
- Maple glazed carrots with figs
Best Low-Carb : Fresh n' Lean
- Starting Price: $8.49
- Number Of Recipes: 59
Fresh N Lean has multiple plans that cater to different diets, all of which are 100% gluten-free and made with organic ingredients.
Multiple meal plans
Can't choose specific meals
Must contact customer service to change or cancel your plan
Fresh N Lean concentrates on healthful, ready-to-eat meals across a number of dietary categories, all of which are gluten-free and organically sourced. It also utilizes grass-fed meat in some of its meals. You can order breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day of the week. All meals are single-serving.
Learn More: Read Our Fresh N Lean Review.
- Vegan Standard: starts at $9.99 per serving
- Vegan Low Carb: starts at $9.99 per serving
- Protein+: starts at $10.32 per serving
- Keto: starts at $10.66 per serving
- Paleo: starts at $10.66 per serving
- Whole 30 Approved: starts at $10.66 per serving
- Mediterranean Diet: starts at $10.32 per serving
- Grilled shrimp with caper dill aioli and roasted winter squash
- Moroccan mint grass-fed steak with spiced cauliflower and brown rice
- Tikka chicken with turmeric-roasted cauliflower and quinoa
- BBQ turkey meatballs with white beans
- Cajun salmon with Yukon potato and tomato rice
Best Splurge : Sakara Life
- Starting Price: $28
- Number Of Recipes: 15
Sakara Life is a premium plant-based meal service delivering an abundance of flavors and a variety of fresh options.
Includes tea and supplements
Free shipping for orders over $95
Very pricey compared to other services
You can’t choose your meals
No nutritional information
Sakara Life promotes the food-as-medicine concept, with a philosophy known as its “9 pillars of nutrition.” You can explore the philosophy in detail on Sakara’s website, but to summarize it in two words: Eat plants. The company says it works with many certified organic farms, but also sources from farms without certification that employ organic practices. (However, Sakara does not indicate which ingredients are certified and which are not.) The company offers multiple meal plans, plus an extensive menu of seed and nut blends, “superfood” powders and supplements, teas, “detox water,” and more.
Learn More: Read Our Sakara Life Review.
Pricing is based on zip code, so the cost may vary depending on where you live. The price per week will also depend on how many meals you order (breakfast, lunch, and/or dinner) and the number of days per week (two, three, or five). On average, pricing for the Signature Nutrition plan is as follows:
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 2 days: $181 per week
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 3 days: $239 per week
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 5 days: $420 per week
- Southwest Sunset soup, chipotle corn muffin
- High Vibe honeydew salad, mint chlorophyll quinoa, kombucha vinaigrette
- Moo shu veggie wraps with tamarind sauce
- Prosperity pad thai, kelp noodles, creamy sesame dressing
Best Budget-Friendly : Daily Harvest
- Starting Price: $6.29
- Number Of Recipes: 90
The vast majority of the ingredients Daily Harvest uses are organic, including all ingredients that appear on the Environmental Working Group's "dirty dozen" list of pesticide-intensive foods.
Smaller serving sizes
All meals are frozen
Daily Harvest's menu features oat bowls, grain bowls, flatbreads, soups, lattes, and non-dairy ice creams. All products are single-serving and shipped frozen, which the company says helps to preserve freshness and nutritional content. The company says it uses organic ingredients, and the ingredient lists indicate which are organic and which are not. The site is well-designed and the menu can be filtered according to likes, dislikes, and dietary needs.
Learn More: Read Our Daily Harvest Review.
When placing orders, you'll first need to select a "box" size—either Small (9 items), Medium (14 items), or Large (24 items). Then, simply fill the box with whatever menu selections you like. While pricing depends on what you order, Daily Harvest offers volume-based discounts: The more items you buy, the more money you'll save.
- Lattes: $5.99
- Forager Bowls: $6.79
- Mylk & Bites: $7.99
- Smoothies & Soups: $8.49
- Scoops: $8.99
- Harvest Bowls & Flatbreads: $9.79
- Harvest Bake: $11.99
- 9–11 items: $5 discount
- 12–23 items: $10 discount
- 24–26 items: $25 discount
- Mint + cacao smoothie
- Mango papaya smoothie
- Hazelnut + chocolate bites
- Tomatillo + pepper flatbread
- Portobello + pesto flatbread
- Sweet potato + wild rice hash
- Brussels sprouts + tahini harvest bowl
- Spinach + shiitake grits
- Tomato + zucchini minestrone soup
Best Variety : Sunbasket
- Starting Price: $9.99
- Serving Sizes: 1 - 2
- Number Of Recipes: 43
Sunbasket not only caters to many diets, but it has a huge variety of meals and add-ons as well.
Wide selection of proteins
Lots of add-ons
Offers kits and fully prepped meals
No free shipping after promo period
Premium meals cost extra
With a focus on sustainably-sourced ingredients and eco-friendly packaging, Sunbasket serves a wide variety of diets, including vegetarian, gluten-free, diabetes/low sugar, and paleo. The majority of Sunbasket’s produce is organic, and so are many of the company’s protein options. While Sunbasket specializes in meal kits, it extends its offerings into fully prepped, single-serving “Fresh & Ready” meals. There are also a variety of third-party add-ons, like pressed juices, egg bites, instant noodle bowls, and snacks.
Learn More: Read Our Sunbasket Review.
- Meal Kits: start at $11.49 per serving (price varies depending on selection)
- Fresh & Ready Meals: start at $9.99 per serving (price varies depending on selection)
- Sea scallops over fresh fettuccine with sun-dried tomatoes and spinach
- Snapper with romesco, vegetables, and almonds
- Burmese chicken and sweet potato curry
- Sirloin strip tacos with zucchini scallion salsa
- Broccoli mac and cheese
- Chicken chow mein with broccoli, mushroom, and toasted garlic
- Beef donburi rice bowl with edamame and kimchi-lime vegetables
- Burrito bowl al pastor with plant-based Impossible Beef
Best Plant-Based : Veestro
- Starting Price: $11.03
- Number Of Recipes: 53
Veestro’s single-serving prepared meals fit vegan diets, and organic ingredients are used whenever possible.
Meals come fully prepared and ready to heat
All dishes are vegan
Meal pricing depends on your zip code
Shipping costs extra
Plant-based meals? Organically-sourced ingredients? Check and check. Veestro's catalog of fully veganentrees has a lot to offer in both flavor and variety. Since the meals come prepared, simply heat them in the microwave. With everything from pasta dishes to fajita bowls to tofu tikka masala on the menu, you're sure to find a plant-based meal that suits your palate.
Learn More: Read Our Veestro Review.
Veestro's meal prices depend on the zip code you live in. However, the average cost is about $13 per serving, according to customer service. All deliveries have a fee of $7.95-$12.95 for shipping.
- Lentil meatloaf
- Kale and quinoa salad
- Farro ragout
- Quinoa risotto
- Mushroom stroganoff
- Chick’n quesadilla
- Enchilada casserole
- Soba noodles in peanut sauce
- Red curry with tofu
With its variety of enticing meals, range of dietary accommodations, and certified organic status, Green Chef takes our top spot for the best organic meal delivery service. Its chef-curated recipes include pre-prepped and measured ingredients, and they come with easy step-by-step instructions and photos. Additionally, Green Chef has a focus on sustainability, with a carbon footprint that’s 25% lower than traditional grocery shopping, according to the company’s website.
Compare the Best Organic Meal Delivery Services
|Company||Starting Price||Delivery Area||Products Arrive||Can Customers Choose Delivery Date?||Free Shipping|
|Green Chef Best Certified Organic||$11.99 per serving||48 states||Fresh||Yes||No|
|Daily Harvest Best Budget-Friendly||$6.79 per serving||48 states||Frozen||Yes||Yes|
|Fresh N’ Lean Best Low-Carb||$9.99 per serving||50 states||Fresh||No||Yes (except in AK and HI)|
|Sunbasket Best For Variety||$9.99 per serving||47 states||Fresh||Yes||Only on first order|
|Veestro Best Plant-Based||Not specified||Not specified||Fresh||No||No|
|Sakara Life Best Splurge||$30 per serving||48 states||Fresh||No||With orders over $95|
Guide for Choosing the Best Organic Meal Delivery Services
Are Organic Meal Delivery Services Right for You?
When it comes to organic foods, there are so many potential benefits that it’s hard to come up with any reason why an organic meal delivery service would be a bad idea. Here are just a few of the great advantages of organic farming:
- Enhances soil and water quality
- Reduces pollution
- Provides safe, healthy livestock habitats
- Is sustainable
Comparing Organic Meal Delivery Services
Since it may seem like there are overwhelming options, here are a few considerations to help narrow down your choices:
- Look at the ingredient lists to get a feel for the overall proportion of organic ingredients.
- Do you want organic animal products? Fewer companies offer this option.
- Beyond the organic content, does the service meet your other dietary requirements?
- Are you looking for meal kits or pre-prepped meals?
Organic Meal Delivery Services as Part of Your Lifestyle
Once you’ve selected a service, getting started is as easy as signing up online, creating an account, choosing your plan, and entering your payment information. You can then manage your subscription with the online tools provided by your service. Often you’ll be able to skip weeks, change your delivery address, or pause your service with just a few clicks on the website.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Do Organic Meal Delivery Services Cost?
Price really depends on how much food you want to order. A budget-friendly service like One Potato can send you a couple of meals a week for as little as $55.80, while a more premium service like Sakara Life will cost you closer to $289 per week for lunch and dinner and still leave you to fend for yourself on weekends. Ultimately, most services cost an average of $10 per serving.
What Do Organic Meal Delivery Services Offer?
Organic meal delivery services offer everything from meal kits to ready-to-eat meals, bulk meal prep ingredients, snacks, and a lot more, delivered right to your doorstep. Some, like Trifecta, even offer nutrition information integration with a mobile app to help you track your macros.
Our testers ordered from, cooked, and rated 40 different meal delivery services. We carefully scored each one based on meal selection, nutritional information, sustainability, and customer service, as well as the flavor, freshness, and quality of each meal and ingredient. Our Spruce Eats tester panel includes dietitians, chefs, and long-time food writers, all passionate and knowledgeable about food.
Mayo Clinic. "Organic Foods: Are They Safer? More Nutritious?"