To get a deep discount on a gas grill or charcoal grill, the best time to buy is in September and the Fall.
You will begin to see deals after the fourth of July, the pinnacle of the grilling season. But there are still weeks of good grilling weather ahead, so the best prices are yet to come. You have to wait until the summer grilling season is truly over and stores are eager to get all remaining grills out the door.
Tips for Shopping Grill Deals in Late Summer and Fall
- It pays to do your research on which grill you want earlier in the season while there is a good selection of models in stock. Check out reviews online. Be sure you know the difference between different types of grills.
- Throughout the summer, make a list of the features you want and will use. If you have a grill you are replacing - do you need a different size? What does it have that is essential and what does it lack? If you don't have a grill, note what types of foods you enjoy from a grill and ask how your friends and family members cook them. Then when you are facing a reduced stock of closeout grills, you can buy one that will suit your needs.
- Don't wait too long to buy, or stores may clear out the entire grill section to replace with holiday items.
- You may get the best deals on floor models.
- Don't be afraid to negotiate for an even better deal, especially for floor models. It can't hurt to make a lower offer to take it off their hands.
- Factor in delivery costs for a larger grill if you don't have a vehicle that can carry it home.
Best Time for Buying a Used Grill: Moving Season
You're most likely to find a lightly-used grill at moving sales, thrift stores or online sites such as Craigslist during the summer when people are most likely to move. If you are in the market for a grill, head out with a list of what you are looking for and target moving sales. Bring along your tablet or smartphone to look up the model offered and see how it is rated on Amazon.com or other sites.
Be prepared to negotiate, the stated price is probably not the lowest price you can get, especially if the seller will have no alternative but to junk it if it isn't sold.
The Worst Time to Buy a Grill: March Through June
Don't shop for a charcoal or gas grill from March through June. Yes, that's when you want to buy one to enjoy all summer long. So does everybody else, and stores know it. It's a matter of supply and demand. Demand is high in spring and early summer, when you are eager to grill some hot dogs, burgers, steaks, and kebabs.
That said, you will probably find the best selection during spring and early summer. If you want to comparison shop for different brands and models, this is a good time to do it. You will need to exercise some self-control, taking notes rather than whipping out your credit card.