|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 63g||23%|
|Dietary Fiber 20g||73%|
|Total Sugars 35g|
|Vitamin C 769mg||3,847%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Vitamin C is an incredibly powerful antioxidant that scavenges free radicals and diminishes oxidative stress—key factors in the prevention of illness and in delaying the aging process.
Surprisingly, citrus fruits, while high in vitamin C, are not the first produce that hit the top of the list of fruits and veggies with the greatest amounts of vitamin C! Think guava! It provides a wealth of vitamin C and many other vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. Also high on the list: papaya, spinach, and cantaloupe, as well as kiwi, Brussels sprouts, kale, cauliflower, and grapefruit. Consider, too, apples, bell peppers, parsnips, broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, rutabaga, and sweet potatoes.
1 medium yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup turnip greens
1 pint fresh strawberries
1 medium fresh guava
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Rinse all these foods before using them.
Cut to the size recommended for your juice machine.
Juice and drink this delicious concoction immediately for the best nutritional benefits.
About Vitamin C
- In a study published in 2013 in the Journal of the American Heart Association those who consumed higher amounts of vitamin C were less likely to suffer strokes.
- Vitamin C also reduces such complications as pneumonia and other infections of the lungs. While it may not fight the common cold, it has been demonstrated to reduce the symptoms and shorten the duration of many other illnesses and infections.
- A very important effect of high vitamin C levels in the blood system is its impact on aging. Vitamin C is responsible for healthy collagen and tissue both within and outside our bodies. Vitamin C may also play a role in lowering hypertension and thus supporting a healthy cardiovascular system.
- Vitamin C also strengthens our immune system by fighting everyday stress. Those who are sensitive to stress, such as smokers, the obese, and those with chronic illnesses and disease are especially low in vitamin C and need more than the recommended daily amount to reduce the impact these issues have on their bodies.
- In addition, vitamin C helps dilate blood vessels, thereby assisting in moving blood through the body efficiently and reducing the risk of such complications as high cholesterol, angina pectoris, atherosclerosis, and heart failure. Vitamin C also helps reduce the risk of cataracts by increasing the flow of blood to the eyes.
Chambial S, Dwivedi S, Shukla KK, John PJ, Sharma P. Vitamin C in disease prevention and cure: an overview. Ind J Clin Biochem. 2013;28(4):314-328. doi:10.1007/s12291-013-0375-3
Kumar M, Tomar M, Amarowicz R, et al. Guava (Psidium guajava L.) leaves: nutritional composition, phytochemical profile, and health-promoting bioactivities. Foods. 2021;10(4):752. doi:10.3390/foods10040752
Chen GC, Lu DB, Pang Z, Liu QF. Vitamin C intake, circulating vitamin C and risk of stroke: a meta-analysis of prospective studies. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2(6):e000329. doi:10.1161/JAHA.113.000329
Tan BL, Norhaizan ME, Liew WPP, Sulaiman Rahman H. Antioxidant and oxidative stress: a mutual interplay in age-related diseases. Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:1162. doi:10.3389/fphar.2018.01162
Pullar J, Carr A, Vissers M. The roles of vitamin c in skin health. Nutrients. 2017;9(8):866. doi:10.3390/nu9080866
Juraschek SP, Guallar E, Appel LJ, Miller ER. Effects of vitamin C supplementation on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012;95(5):1079-88. doi:10.3945/ajcn.111.027995
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Dietary Supplements (ODS). Vitamin C. Updated March 26, 2021
American Optometric Association. Vitamin C.