This slow cooker garlic chicken recipe is cooked with onions and carrots. Cabbage wedges are cooked separately and served with the chicken. It's a simple combination of ingredients, a snap to prepare in the slow cooker. Feel free to add some sliced celery or leeks to the chicken in the slow cooker, or add some potatoes to the pot to cook along with the cabbage..
Use whole chicken legs or chicken quarters, thighs, or other chicken pieces in this recipe.
Serve this dish with boiled potatoes.
- 4 pounds chicken parts (quartered chicken, whole legs, thighs, etc.)
- salt to taste (kosher)
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 cups chicken broth (low-sodium or unsalted)
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- garlic powder to taste
- Season the chicken with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and place in slow cooker. Add the carrots, onion, and garlic cloves. Add about 2 cups of chicken broth and the bay leaf; cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. The chicken should be very tender.
- About 30 to 45 minutes before the chicken is done, cut the head of cabbage into wedges. Place the cabbage wedges in a large pot with 1 cup of water. Add two tablespoons of butter and sprinkle generously with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover the pan and cook over medium-high heat for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender; drain.
- When chicken and cabbage are done, place some cabbage in a bowl and top with chicken and some of the chicken broth.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||45 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|