This super easy rhubarb dump cake is made with layers of ingredients, including fresh diced rhubarb, strawberry-flavored gelatin, and a cake mix. It's a great way to use that spring and summer rhubarb.
Feel free to replace a cup or two of the rhubarb with sliced fresh strawberries or whole frozen strawberries. Top the warm cake with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
- 5 cups of cubed fresh rhubarb (cut in 1- to 1 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3-ounce) package of strawberry-flavored gelatin (sugar-free works fine)
- 1 (18-ounce) white cake mix (2-layer size)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup melted margarine or butter
Gather the ingredients.
Butter a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking dish. Heat the oven to 350 F.
Put the cubed rhubarb in the baking dish.
Top with the granulated sugar, then sprinkle the gelatin over the sugar.
Sprinkle the dry cake mix over the gelatin layer, then pour the water over the cake mix layer.
Drizzle the melted butter over all. Do not stir or mix the ingredients.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes.
Serve the cake warm with sweetened whipped cream, ice cream, or frozen (thawed) whipped topping.
- Replace the white cake mix with a yellow or butter cake mix.
- Add 1 cup of sliced fresh strawberries along with 4 cups of rhubarb.