These are baby eggplants stuffed with a delicious, tangy spice mix! Serve this easy-to-cook dish with plain white rice and lehsuni daal (garlic-flavored yellow lentils).
- 6 baby eggplants (washed, stalk trimmed and partially slit into quarters)
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 3 tablespoons grated desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 3/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower oil)
- To Garnish: Fresh cilantro leaves
Gather the ingredients.
Place coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chilies, coconut and chopped garlic in a bowl and mix.
Add the tamarind paste to the spice mix a little at a time to get a thick paste. Add salt to taste and mix well.
Fill the slits in the eggplants with this spice paste. Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a pan (on a medium flame) till hot. Add the mustard seeds, dry red chilies, and curry leaves and cook till spluttering stops. Add the eggplants and gently stir.
Cook till the eggplants are done. Stir occasionally but do it gently so as to avoid knocking the filling out of the eggplants.
Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve with plain white rice and lehsuni daal (garlic-flavored yellow lentils) if desired.