These are baby eggplants stuffed with a delicious, tangy spice mix! Serve this easy-to-cook dish with plain white rice and lehsuni daal (garlic-flavored yellow lentils).
- 6 baby eggplants (washed, stalk trimmed and partially slit into quarters)
- 2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 3 tbsp. grated desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. tamarind (small marble-sized lump of tamarind soaked in a small bowl of warm water)
- 3/4 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 6-8 curry leaves
- 2 dry red chilies
- Dash salt (or to taste)
- 3 to 4 tbsp. vegetable oil (or canola or sunflower oil)
- Fresh coriander (chopped)
Put the coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chilies, coconut and chopped garlic in a bowl and mix.
Squeeze the tamarind that has been soaked in the warm water so as to remove all the pulp from it and into the water. Strain and throw away the pith.
Add this tamarind pulp to the spice mix a little at a time to get a thick paste. Add salt to taste and mix well.
Fill the slits in the eggplants with this spice paste. Keep aside.
Heat the oil in a pan (on a medium flame) till hot. Add the mustard seeds, dry red chilies, and curry leaves and cook till spluttering stops. Add the eggplants and gently stir.
Cook till the eggplants are done. Stir occasionally but do it gently so as to avoid knocking the filling out of the eggplants.
Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with plain white rice and Lehsuni Daal (garlic-flavored yellow lentils).