Big Daddy says, "This is Carolina style barbecue sauce." This means that it is vinegar and mustard based, as opposed to the ketchup and molasses based sauces of the mid and southwest. The combination of sweet and tangy flavors brings out the absolute best in grilled or smoked pork or chicken.
- 1 cup/240 mL prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup/120 mL sugar
- 1/3 cup/80 mL light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup/180 mL cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup/60 mL water
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL chili powder (mild)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne (optional)
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL butter
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
1. Combine all ingredients, except soy sauce, butter and liquid smoke, in a medium saucepan. Simmer on low for 20 minutes, making sure to stir occasionally. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes.
2. Remove sauce from heat and allow mixture to cool for 10-15 minutes before using. If making ahead of time, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days after initial preparation.
3. To use: Simply serve on the side with smoked pork or chicken. It's also delicious on pulled pork sandwiches.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|