|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Homemade pizza dough is a treat but it takes hours to make. Between mixing, kneading, rising, shaping, and baking, it's a real time commitment. For a crispy, crunchy pizza crust that takes only minutes to put together, try using a baking mix.
Instead of using yeast as leavener, baking mixes contain baking powder. This means there's no need to let the dough rise, and the crust is more cracker-like than bread-like. Biscuit mix, like Bisquick, works best for this recipe. The crispy crust is a delicious palette for your choice of toppings.
You can buy a baking mix or biscuit mix for this super easy recipe, but why not make your own? It's incredibly convenient to have around for making quick breads, muffins, pancakes, biscuits, and, yes, pizza. It's cheaper than the purchased mixes and you can control what goes in it, which means no artificial or weird ingredients. Store the mix in your fridge until ready to use.
After your crust is mixed and formed, top with your favorite pizza toppings. Use a store-bought or homemade marinara sauce, your choice of melty cheeses, and whatever sliced veggies and meats you like. The crunchy crust can stand up to heavier toppings like ground beef and taco fixings or barbecue chicken. Form into four individual rounds for personal-sized pizzas, and let kids top their own before baking.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening (or butter)
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups baking mix (or biscuit mix, such as Bisquick)
- 1/3 cup water (hot)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 425 F. Grease a 12-inch pizza pan with solid shortening or butter and sprinkle with cornmeal to coat.
In a medium bowl, combine the baking mix, water, and olive oil. Mix well with a spoon until a dough forms.
Press the dough into the prepared pizza pan, dipping your fingers in flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking as you work. Top the dough with your favorite pizza toppings.
Bake for 12 to 17 minutes or until the crust is brown, the toppings are thoroughly heated, and the cheese is bubbling and starting to brown.
- Meat Lover's: Browned sausage, sliced pepperoni, and diced ham or crispy bacon
- Spinach and Artichoke: White sauce, diced canned artichokes, frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed dry), garlic, mozzarella cheese
- Taco Pizza: Taco sauce, browned ground beef, Mexican-style cheese, lettuce and tomato
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza: Barbecue sauce, diced cooked chicken, red onion, cheese
- Supreme: Olives, bell peppers, red onion
- Buffalo: Buffalo sauce, mozzarella and bleu cheese, diced cooked chicken
- Dessert Pizza: Cream cheese mixed with powdered sugar or Nutella spread, fresh fruit, chocolate sauce