- 1 pound bitter melon (about 1 1/4 melons)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons oil (for stir-frying)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Optional: a few drops sesame oil
- Gather the ingredients.
- To prepare the bitter melon, cut in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and cut on the diagonal into thin slices. Degorge the bitter melon by sprinkling salt over the slices and placing them in a colander to drain for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, mash the chili pepper flakes with the minced garlic.
- Heat wok over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the minced garlic and chili mixture. Stir-fry briefly until aromatic (about 30 seconds).
- Add the bitter melon. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then splash with the balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Stir in the sugar. Cook for another 1 to 2 minutes, until the bitter melon is browning and beginning to soften. Stir in a few drops sesame oil if desired. Serve hot.
Reader Review of Bitter Melon Stir-fry
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
Comments: It's light, yet so yummy. Perfect for a healthy diet. From nhi