The whiskey sauce makes the dish. If you do not have access to a grill, use your oven broiler. This is a copycat recipe from a famous restaurant chain.
- For the Whiskey Pepper Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons white onion (chopped)
- 2 cups beef stock (or canned beef broth)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic (pressed)
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- For the Pepper Steak:
- 1 sirloin steak (16 ounces, cut into two portions)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- Fire up the barbecue.
- In a saucepan or deep skillet, make the pepper sauce by sautéing the white onions in the butter over high heat. In about 3 minutes the onions will begin to turn brown.
- Add 1 cup of the beef stock to the onions. Add the cracked black pepper and garlic at this point as well. Continue to simmer over medium/high heat until the has reduced by about half.
- Add the , green onion, and remaining 1 cup of beef stock to the sauce and let it simmer over low heat while you prepare the steaks.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of cracked pepper over the entire surface of each side of the sirloin steaks and press it into the steaks so that it sticks.
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium/high heat. Drop the steaks into the melted butter and sear each side of the steaks for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until brown.
- When the barbecue is good and hot, grill the steaks for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until they are done to your liking. Salt the steaks lightly as they grill.
- When the steaks are just about done, combine the cornstarch with the tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Stir just until the cornstarch dissolves.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add the cornstarch to it. Put the back on the heat and continue to cook on low until the sauce is thickened to the consistency you desire. Serve the steaks doused with pepper sauce.
Source: by Todd Wilbur (Penguin)
Reprinted with permission.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||40 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|