Black beans and mangoes combine with fresh bell pepper, fresh jalapeno peppers and fresh cilantro in this simple vegetarian, vegan, high-protein, and gluten-free bean salad recipe. The flavors are simple yet powerful, and the combination is quite tasty.
Use sea salt or kosher salt for the best taste, instead of regular table salt. Similarly, use the best quality olive oil you have, and use freshly squeezed lime juice instead of bottled, if possible, for the best flavor.
This black bean and mango salad recipe is vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free, and, with just one tablespoon of olive oil divided among four servings, it's also relatively low in fat. With less than 200 calories per serving, this bean salad also qualifies as a low-calorie recipe.
- 1 15.8 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sweet red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced or, hot sauce to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups mango, diced
- Sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the drained and rinsed black beans, the diced bell pepper, green onions, minced jalapeno pepper, and fresh cilantro.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lime juice (and the hot sauce if you're using hot sauce instead of fresh jalapeno pepper).
- Pour the olive oil and lime juice mixture over the bean mix, and gently toss together until well mixed.
- Once the ingredients are well combined, carefully and gently fold in the diced mango and season lightly with sea salt or kosher salt.
- You may want to taste, and adjust the seasonings, or add a bit more salt before serving.
- This recipe makes four servings if you're serving it as a side salad, but if you're planning on using it as a main dish, plan on closer to two to three servings.
Nutritional information, per serving:
- Calories: 191; Calories from Fat: 34
- % Daily Value:
- Total Fat: 3.8g, 6%
- Saturated Fat: 0.5g, 3%
- Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
- Sodium: 577mg, 24%
- Total Carbohydrates: 31.9g, 11%
- Dietary Fiber: 5.4g, 22%
- Sugars: 14.2g
- Protein: 5.6g
- Vitamin A 37%, Vitamin C 117%, Calcium 5%, Iron 10%
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||24 g|