|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||27%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||27%|
|Total Carbohydrate 176g||64%|
|Dietary Fiber 26g||94%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Who doesn't love a good vegetarian black bean chili recipe? Made with mostly canned ingredients, this a quick and easy vegetarian black bean chili recipe that's perfect even for novice chefs. Give it a try—it's practically foolproof! Omit the cheese and optional sour cream topping if you need it to be vegan and dairy-free as well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (6 to 8-inch) corn tortillas (cut into 2-inch strips)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 1 large red bell pepper (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn (undrained)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (drained)
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato sauce
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- For serving:
- Optional: 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or Jalapeno Jack cheese)
- Optional: 2 green onions (chopped)
- Optional: 1/4 cup sour cream
- Optional: 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
Gather the ingredients.
Heat half the oil (one tablespoon) in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the cut tortillas and lightly brown.
Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate; let drain. These tortilla strips will top your chili and give it a fantastically crunchy finishing touch.
Heat the remaining oil (one tablespoon) in the same large saucepan. Add the onion, red pepper, garlic, and corn.
Then stir in the chili powder, oregano, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Allow cooking for four minutes, stirring often.
Next, add the beans and tomato sauce. Season with a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Allow to simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
Serve your black bean and corn chili topped with tortilla strips, cheese, green onions, sour cream, and cilantro.