- 3 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Optional: 1 cup bread crumbs (fine, dry)
- Optional: 4 tablespoon butter
- Combine flour, salt, and nutmeg. Add eggs and mix. Pour milk into the dough little by little, until a smooth batter forms, slightly thinner than brownie batter. Let rest at least 5 minutes.
- Bring 2 quarts of water with 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a heavy, 4-5 quart saucepan. Plan on boiling at least 2 batches from this recipe.
- Set a large colander (one with large holes) over the saucepan and press the dough, a few spoonfuls at a time, through the holes directly into the water.
- Boil for 5-8 minutes until the noodles are tender to the bite.
- Remove noodles with a slotted spoon and drain further in a sieve.
- Toss with roasted breadcrumbs to serve.
To Make Breadcrumb
- Melt and stir 4 tablespoons butter in a pan over medium heat until butter stops foaming.
- Add 1 cup breadcrumbs and cook, stirring constantly, until crumbs are browned.
- Drain on paper towels.
Tip for whole grain enthusiasts: You may substitute part or all of the flour with whole wheat. I use white whole wheat flour. Let the dough sit for an hour to soften the bran.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||27 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|