|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Yes, this barbecue sauce calls for coffee. The coffee helps to give the sauce a deep, rich flavor which works particularly well on beef.
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 1 cup coffee (strong and at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup hot chili peppers (minced)
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons salt
Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer for about 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
Stir occasionally and watch for burning. Reduce heat to low if necessary.
Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Pour into a blender and puree until smooth.
Use immediately or store in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week after preparation.