|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 29g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 26g|
|Vitamin C 1mg||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The black magic is a creepy cocktail that features an onyx-colored vodka for a spooky look that tastes great, too. It makes the perfect themed cocktail for a Halloween party when you want something that's tall and refreshing, whether you're serving a crowd or just a few people.
This is a very easy recipe that creates a dark soda highball flavored with the sweetness of grenadine—much like a spiked Shirley Temple. For the black vodka, you have two options: use Blavod or make your own. Whichever you choose, it's a fun novelty drink for a party that everyone's sure to enjoy.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the vodka and grenadine into an ice-filled collins glass.
Top with soda and garnish with a maraschino cherry.
Serve and enjoy!
- Blavod is the only black vodka that's commercially produced. It can be difficult to find at times; it typically appears in liquor stores around Halloween and can be found in some stores year-round. It is an unflavored vodka, though the catechu extract used to make it black does impart a slightly herbal finish.
- It's incredibly easy to make your own black vodka using any vodka you choose. A few drops of blue, green, and red food coloring are all you need. It's not perfect, but it is a quick and inexpensive way to create this novelty ingredient.
- Stir the drink after adding the soda if you prefer. Otherwise, serve it with a straw and stir as you go.
- When left unstirred, the grenadine will sink to the bottom—just like in a tequila sunrise—and produce a bloody base for your dark drink.
- You can certainly make this drink with any vodka you like. Black vodka is not required, it just adds to the spectacle.
- Pour ginger ale or any other light colored soda that you like instead of the lemon-lime soda.
- Add a creepy garnish to really get everyone in the Halloween spirit! The lychee eyeball would be a fun option for this drink and is made by stuffing a gelatinous lychee fruit with a blueberry and red fruit preserves. Place it on top of the ice and it will surprise anyone who goes to take a drink!
How Strong Is a Black Magic Cocktail?
As with most soda-topped highballs, the black magic is a relatively light drink. When made with 80-proof vodka, it will have an alcohol content around 11 percent ABV (22 proof). It's like drinking a glass of wine, only with a special effect that makes it a lot more fun!