Definition of Black Pepper Tea
Black pepper "tea" is any tea, herbal infusion or herbal decoction made with black peppercorns. Black peppercorns (as well as white pepper, pink pepper, red peppercorns and green peppercorns) are used on their own or in blends to make teas and infusions.
A popular example of a black pepper tea is masala chai, which often contains black pepper.
Basic Black Pepper Tea Recipe
Making basic black pepper tea at home is quick and easy. Here's how.
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- (optional) 1 Tbsp. honey
- (optional) 1 tsp. lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- (optional) 1 heaping teaspoon freshly chopped ginger
- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add all other ingredients and turn off the heat.
- Allow to steep for three to five minutes.
- Strain into two mugs and drink while hot.
Variation: If you want a stronger black pepper tea, you can let all the ingredients except the honey simmer for a few minutes, then turn off the heat and steep. Add the honey after you turn off the heat or after straining.
Black Pepper Health Benefits
For centuries, black pepper and other types of pepper have been used in Ayurveda and alternative medicines for reducing free radicals, increasing circulation, reducing joint stiffness, easing sinus pressure, promoting weight loss and balancing the body’s water content.
Looking for more ways to incorporate the benefits of black pepper into your diet? Brew some peppercorns or ground black pepper with your next cup of tea or herbal infusion.
More Pepper Drink Recipes
Pepper can be boiled in hot water or simmered in milk as a basic home remedy for some of the ailments listed above. Beyond that, pepper can be used to add flavor to a wide range of drinks, including teas and cocktails. Here are some drink recipes featuring pepper:
- Black Pepper & Bourbon Cocktail Recipe (include black pepper simple syrup recipe)
- Bloody Mary Mix Recipe (With Black Pepper)
- Green Tea & White Pepper Dessert Martini Recipe
- Healthy Margarita Recipe With Green Peppercorns
- Homemade Masala Chai With Black Pepper
- Peppermelon Gin Cocktail Recipe
- Pink Pepper & Elderflower Cocktail Recipe
- Red Pepper & Orange Vodka Cocktail Recipe
- Virgin Mary Non-Alcoholic Mocktail Recipe
Also Known As
Piper nigrum (Latin / botanical name), kaalii mirch (Hindi), Hu Jiao (Chinese)