|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||11%|
|Total Carbohydrate 5g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 5g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The black rose is a fun shooter for Halloween. It will also work for any other occasion that calls for something on the darker side. In the realm of shots, this recipe is a treasure because it not only tastes good, but it also has a fun visual effect.
This shooter combines the strawberry cream of Tequila Rose with the shadowy Blavod Vodka. It's the only commercially produced black vodka, though it can be an elusive bottle. It typically shows up around Halloween, and not every liquor store stocks it.
If you like, you can also make your own black vodka using your favorite brand. That option simply requires a set of liquid food coloring. Though it's not perfect, the effect is good enough for this shot.
3/4 ounce Tequila Rose
3/4 ounce black vodka
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the Tequila Rose into a shot glass.
Float or drizzle the vodka on top.
Serve and enjoy.
- Tequila Rose has long been the strawberry cream of choice, but there are other liqueurs that are just as pink, creamy, and delicious. For instance, Baileys and Merrys both make a strawberry-flavored Irish cream, and you may spot other brands as well.
- Depending on the vodka, you might not get a distinct layer on top of the creamy base. If it's not working out, try to reverse the ingredients, pouring the vodka first, then the cream liqueur.
- Drizzling the vodka instead is much easier and the effect of black swirls in thick pink liquid is cool on its own.
- You can replicate the look and (to some extent) the taste of Tequila Rose using two ingredients. Shake 1/2 ounce of Irish cream or RumChata and 1/4 ounce of strawberry liqueur, straining it into a shot glass. Raspberry liqueur (e.g., Chambord) or grenadine will work as well, though the flavor will change.
- Black vodka makes a neat visual, but it's not required. You can get the same taste with a clear vodka. Though the majority of flavored vodkas are also colorless, you can pour something like Deep Eddy Cranberry, which is deep red. The taste would be good and you still get a color effect.
How Strong Is a Black Rose Shot?
Since there's no shaking or mixing this shot up with ice that would dilute it, it's a very strong drink. Blavod is bottled at the average vodka strength of 80 proof and Tequila Rose is 34 proof. Adding those two up, the black rose's alcohol content is 28 percent ABV (56 proof). To put that into perspective, if you were to drink two of these in a row, you'd exceed the strength of a single shot of tequila.