Use black soy beans and TVP (textured vegetable protein) to make a vegetarian burger. Shop for black soy beans in the canned foods section of your local health food store.
Recipe and photo courtesy of The Soy Foods Council
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or 3/4 cup water plus 1 vegetarian bouillon cube, crushed
- 1 cup TVP
- 1/4 cup cooked or canned black soybeans, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons corn meal
- 1 packet (1 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons soy oil
In a medium saucepan bring vegetable broth or water and bouillon cube to boiling. Add TVP and let stand 3 minutes.
In a medium bowl, mash half the beans with a fork.
Add remaining beans, onion, flour, cornmeal and seasoning mix. Add eggs and mix well.
Form into 4 patties.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until firmed and browned on one side, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn and brown second side.
Serve your black soy bean burgers on buns with your favorite veggie burger toppings.