|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 10g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Vitamin C 28mg||141%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The black widow is Blavod Vodka's answer to a Cape Codder. It's a straightforward vodka-cranberry drink that simply opts for a cool visual effect that can only come from black vodka. This easy and eerie drink is perfect for Halloween parties and it mixes up in quickly so you can get back to your guests.
There are also two ways to construct this drink. One is to float the vodka on top of the cranberry, which may not always work if you go with a vodka other than Blavod. The second method is to create a swirling cloud of black vodka by drizzling it into the juice. With either option, the effect will be lost once the drink is stirred, but it is a fun look for a few minutes.
2 ounces black vodka
3 ounces cranberry juice
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the cranberry juice into a highball glass filled with ice.
Float the vodka on top by pouring it over the back of a bar spoon to disrupt the flow. Or you can slowly drizzle the vodka onto the cranberry juice for a swirling effect. Serve and enjoy.
- If Blavod is not your vodka of choice or you can't find it, you can always make your own black vodka using whichever brand you prefer. The trick is as simple as using a certain combination of food coloring.
- No matter what vodka you use, it may not create a perfect layer on top of the cranberry. the black will immediately take over some of the red juice and the two will slowly become one as the drink settles.
- Pour this drink as a layered shot if you like. Simply fill a shot glass almost half way with cranberry juice then top it with the black vodka.
- Topping this drink off with a light soda (e.g., lemon-lime or ginger ale) can create a momentary bubbling cauldron effect.
- Have fun creating creepy garnishes for this drink. Adding a lychee eyeball on top of the glass could really freak out your guests if you don't cover it completely with the vodka. Another easy option is to get Halloween-themed iced cube trays.
- You can use this recipe with other fruit juices as the base. For instance, Blavod floats perfectly on top of orange juice, creating drink called the October screwdriver. That would be a fun drink to top with a "pumpkin" orange garnish, though you'll have to drink it with a straw.
How Strong Is a Black Widow?
When a little dilution is factored in for the ice, the black widow is not a very potent cocktail. In fact, its alcohol content is just 14 percent ABV (28 proof), which is typical of highball mixed drinks. It's similar to drinking a glass of wine, but wine can't touch the visual appeal of this drink.