|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 12g||16%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 57g||21%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||21%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Blackberries are packed with A and K vitamins, lots of fiber, and antioxidants. If in season, these berries are plump and very sweet, but otherwise might be tangier. If the latter is the case where you live, use them for a simple and sweet crumble dessert.
Fruit desserts are great options after heavy and fatty dinners. Use a 50-50 mix of blackberries and raspberries for a tangier flavor, or add diced granny smith apples for a firmer texture.
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Place the blackberries in a lightly buttered 1-quart baking dish and sprinkle half of the sugar (1/3 cup) on top. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Reserve on the side.
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter with remaining sugar using an electric or hand mixer.
Stir in the flour and salt. Mix until it has a sandy texture.
Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the blackberries.
Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the topping is browned.
Serve warm or cold.
For an Elegant Presentation
If you're hosting a dinner party, bake the crumble in individual buttered ramekins and top with one of the following creamy additions:
- A drizzling of heavy cream with a teaspoon of lavender honey
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream with cracked peppercorns on top
- A spoonful of sweet mascarpone with orange peel curl
Serve a chilled dessert wine for a perfect ending.
Gluten-Free Crumble Toppings
If you are avoiding gluten or have guests with gluten sensitivities, choose one of the following variations:
- Oatmeal Crumble: Use 1 cup of rolled oats, 1/2 cup of butter or vegan butter, 1/2 cup of sugar, a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest. Mix all the crumble ingredients, top your fruit as indicated in the recipe, and bake.
- Almond Meal Crumble (or Gluten-free Flour): Use 1 cup of almond meal/gluten-free flour, 1/2 cup of butter or vegan butter, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, a pinch of nutmeg, a pinch of ground cloves, and a splash of sherry. Mix all the crumble ingredients, top your fruit as indicated in the recipe, and bake.
- Crunchy Rice: Use 1/2 cup of steamed Jasmine rice (cold), 1/2 cup of coconut sugar, 1 tablespoon of orange zest, and 1/2 cup of chopped almonds. Separate the rice grains as much as possible, stir in the rest of the ingredients, top your fruit as indicated in the recipe, and bake.