Made with fresh blackberries and nondairy cream cheese, this gelato is dairy-free, super creamy, and gorgeous, making it a fabulous dessert for a get-together, or a fun way to treat yourself. This recipe is extra delicious when blackberries are in season, but if you find yourself without fresh blackberries, frozen can be used, but be sure to thaw and drain completely before using.
Seek out vegan-friendly cream cheese at your local grocery store, generally located alongside other vegan "dairy" and mock meats in the refrigerated sections.
- 2 1/2 cups blackberries (fresh)
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese (such as Follow Your Heart brand)
- 1 cup almond milk (or other nondairy milk, unsweetened is best, but any variety will do)
- 1 cup sugar (granulated, or evaporated cane juice)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Rinse and gently dry the blackberries using a clean kitchen cloth or paper towel. Transfer to the pitcher of a blender or the bowl of a food processor and add in the 8 ounces vegan cream cheese. Blend briefly and then add the 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup granulated sugar, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Blend until smooth, stopping and scraping down the sides of the blender pitcher or bowl of the food processor as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Once frozen in the machine, transfer to a flexible airtight container and allow to freeze at least 6 hours before serving for best texture. Store up to 1 month in the freezer.
- Feel free to add in a variety of mix-ins, such as more blackberries, mini nondairy chocolate chips, chopped pecans, or whatever else your heart desires. Be sure to fold in the extra ingredients after the ice cream has been frozen in the machine, but prior to transferring to a flexible airtight container and freezing for an additional 6 hours.
Making this gelato without an ice cream maker is certainly possible, but the end texture may be slightly different than gelato made with a machine. To make, place the blended gelato ingredients into a shallow rounded metal dish or baking pan. Cover lightly with plastic wrap and then freeze for 20 minutes. Using a handheld electric mixer, blend the frozen mixture for about 30 seconds and then transfer back into the freezer and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Freeze another 20 minutes, and then blend again for 30 seconds. Repeat this every 20 minutes for up to 2 hours, or until mixture is the consistency of fluffy ice cream. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for an additional 2 to 6 hours before serving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|