This 2-crust blackberry pie is a tried-and-true Southern favorite. The fruit filling is made with fresh blackberries, sugar, and flour for thickening the mixture.
Use the included all-butter crust or your favorite pie pastry recipe. Or use convenient refrigerated pie pastry in the recipe.
- For the Pastry
- 2 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 sticks butter (cold, cut into small pieces and chilled in the freezer for 15 minutes)
- 8 to 12 tablespoons water (ice cold)
- For the Blackberry Filling:
- 1 quart blackberries (washed and drained)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter (cut in small pieces)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk (or cream)
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, and the pieces of chilled butter.
- Pulse 5 to 7 times or use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. The mixture should resemble coarse meal with some bits or pea-sized butter.
- If you are using a food processor remove the mixture to a large bowl and add about 7 tablespoons of ice water and mix with your hands.
- Continue adding water, a teaspoon or two at a time, until the dough begins to clump.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly into a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into two flat disks and wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 450 F.
- Roll out one disk of the pie pastry into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- Line a pie plate with the dough, leaving some overhang.
- In a bowl, combine the blackberries with sugar, salt, and flour.
- Pour the filling into the pastry lined pie plate and dot with butter.
- Roll out the remaining disk of dough to a circle about 11 to 12 inches in diameter.
- Place the dough carefully over the filling.
- Bring the bottom and top edges together and trim as needed. Crimp the edge as desired.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk and milk or cream to create an egg wash.
- Brush the egg wash mixture over the top crust, if desired.
- Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated 450 F oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 F and bake 25 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Sprinkle large grain decorator's sugar or vanilla sugar over the egg wash, if desired.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|