This delicious macaroni salad is the perfect combination of flavors for BLT lovers.
Plenty of crumbled bacon gives the salad excellent smoky flavor, while the fresh tomatoes and lettuce add color and texture, making it a fabulous salad to serve with any summer meal. Use macaroni or a similar pasta, such as mini penne or rotini, or ditalini.
- 10 slices bacon (thickly sliced; about 12 ounces)
- black pepper to taste
- 8 ounces macaroni (about 2 cups dry)
- 2 hard-cooked eggs (coarsely chopped)
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (diced)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh, chopped)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 dash garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tomatoes (sliced)
- Garnish: lettuce leaves or shredded lettuce
- Heat oven to 375 F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a rack in the pan.
- Place the bacon on the rack in the prepared pan. Sprinkle the bacon lightly with pepper and bake for about 25 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse under cool water; set aside.
- Dice or crumble the cooked bacon and add to a large bowl along with the chopped eggs, onion, celery, and parsley.
- Add the pasta and toss to combine ingredients.
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, and garlic powder. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Mix well, adding more mayonnaise, if desired.
- On salad plates, arrange lettuce leaves or shredded lettuce and a few slices of fresh tomato. Top the lettuce and tomatoes with about 1/2 to 1 cup of macaroni salad.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|