These fabulous blueberry biscuits are finished with a lightly spiced butter and sugar topping. Use fresh or frozen blueberries in this biscuits recipe.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (divided)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, do not thaw)
- For the Topping:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Heat the oven to 400° F (200° C/Gas 6).
- Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Mix 2 cups of the flour with the sugar, baking powder, lemon peel, salt, and soda in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk until well blended; stir into the flour mixture. Stir in the frozen blueberries.
- Sprinkle remaining flour on the countertop.
- Scrape dough out onto the flour. With floured hands, gently knead 6 or 7 times, just until dough begins to hold together. Pat dough into a rectangle or round 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut out rounds with a floured 2-inch cutter or glass.
- Place biscuits 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Combine topping ingredients and brush over the warm biscuits.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|