This blueberry blintz recipe is common throughout Eastern Europe. It starts with a thin, unleavened, crepe-like pancake that can be made with various flours and is folded around a blueberry filling. Here's more about Eastern European blintzes.
Serve these blintzes for brunch, breakfast, or dessert.
- For the Batter:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/4 pounds washed, stemmed blueberries
- Optional: 1 teaspoon diced lemon zest
- Garnish: Confectioners' sugar
- In a blender or food processor, combine milk, water, egg, flour, salt, and sugar. Blend until batter is lump-free, about 15 seconds or longer. Add the melted butter and blend for another 5 minutes. Refrigerate batter for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest (if using), and blueberries. Toss and place over medium heat. Allow it to come to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Lightly coat an 8-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Place over medium heat. Pour in 1/4 cup batter and swirl until the bottom of the pan is completely coated. Pour off any excess. Cook 30 to 45 seconds and flip. Cook an additional 30 seconds. Remove to a plate and cover with a paper towel to prevent drying. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
- When ready to assemble, use a slotted spoon to place 1 to 2 tablespoons of berries (leave the sauce for garnish) on the lower third of the pancake. Fold the bottom up and away from you to cover the filling. Fold the two sides in toward the center. Roll the pancake away from you, ending with seam side down. Repeat with remaining pancakes and filling. If your pan is well seasoned, it shouldn't need to be coated with additional vegetable spray.
- Heat the same pan over medium heat and add butter to fry each side of the blintzes for about 2 minutes until crisp. Remove to a serving place, garnish with blueberry sauce and confectioners' sugar.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|