This blueberry buckle is a delicious blueberry cake with a crumbly cinnamon spiced topping. Fresh is best, but frozen blueberries may be used as well.
- For the Buckle
- 6 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh and rinsed or frozen and unthawed)
- For the Topping
- 1/4 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
Beat the butter with granulated sugar for 3 to 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
Add egg and vanilla extract and beat until well blended.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder and salt and sift.
Add sifted dry ingredients to butter mixture alternately with 1/2 cup milk, beating just until smooth.
Fold in blueberries.
Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan.
Combine the topping ingredients and mix with fingers or a fork to blend thoroughly and form crumbs.
Sprinkle topping crumbs over batter.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Serve and enjoy!
- Make sure that you are starting out with room temperature ingredients. When you combine ingredients like butter, eggs, and milk together to create an emulsion, this emulsion traps air. When baking, that trapped air expands and creates light and fluffy baked goods.