This scrumptious blueberry cobbler is made with fresh or frozen blueberries and a biscuit-like topping.
The blueberry cobbler filling is lightly spiced with some ground cinnamon, and the biscuit-like topping is a snap to prepare with melted butter and milk. Add a tablespoon or two of sugar to the biscuit mixture if you like a sweetened cobbler topping. Or brush the tops of the unbaked biscuits with an egg wash mixture and sprinkle with sugar or cinnamon sugar.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup/4 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish or 9-inch pie plate. Heat the oven to 425 F.
- In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup of granulated sugar and cornstarch, stir in water. Bring to a boil; stirring constantly, boil for 1 minute. Add blueberries and blend well.
- Pour blueberry mixture into the prepared baking dish or 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with 1 teaspoon melted butter.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar (if using), baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the milk and 3 tablespoons melted butter into a measuring cup; add to flour mixture all at once. Stir just until mixture is moistened and forms a soft dough. Drop spoonfuls of the dough onto the blueberries.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Tips and Variations
- Replace about 2/3 cup of the blueberries with shredded apples.
- Make a blueberry cobbler extra-special with a crumble topping. Toast about 1/3 cup of chopped pecans; combine the toasted pecans with 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of packed brown sugar, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. Mix with a fork or your fingers to make the crumble. Sprinkle over the top of the cobbler. Bake as directed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|