Blueberry danishes are so cute! From the simple way you eat them to their adorable name, they are just cuteness all over. When you've got a package of frozen puff pastry dough on hand, they're also extremely easy to make.
A few ingredients like cream cheese, blueberries and vanilla extract round out the tiny grocery list for these delectable pastries. You can also replace the blueberries with any other berry or other fruit like apples. This recipe makes six pastries, but you can easily double or triple the recipe, or make smaller danishes if you are cooking for a crowd.
Danishes are a quick and easy brunch dish that you can make ahead of time, too. They're perfect for Easter Brunch or sweet bridal and baby showers. They look so pretty and sophisticated on a beautiful white plate. No one has to know that they are the easiest thing to make. Want to go the extra mile? Consider making your own homemade puff pastry.
- 1 package puff pastry dough (thawed according to package directions)
- 1/4 cup flour (more or less, for rolling out the dough)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (freshly washed and dried)
- 1/2 package cream cheese (softened at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup sugar (or substitute honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons water
- Garnish: powdered sugar for dusting
- Once your puff pastry dough has thawed, place it on a lightly floured surface and roll it out into a large rectangle. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the dough into a 2 by 3 grid, making six squares total.
- Score each square using a knife, creating a 1/2 inch border on the dough. Use a fork to score the inner square, about six times to keep it from puffing during cooking. Leave the border alone, it will look nice puffed.
- Transfer the squares onto a parchment-lined (or lightly greased) baking sheet.
- Mix together the cream cheese with the sugar and vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture onto the center of one of the pastry squares. Press about 6-9 blueberries into the cream cheese. Repeat with the remaining squares.
- Beat together the egg and the water. Use a pastry brush to spread the egg mixture onto the border edges of the pastry.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
- Enjoy hot or cooled!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|