If you've never tried this style of cake, now is the time. Dump cake is fun to make—a lot like cobbler, but so much easier to whip up. In fact, a dump cake is just about the simplest dessert you can bake, named because you just toss the ingredients together and dump them into a baking dish. The bounty of juicy summer fruit, combined with sweet, simple, golden brown cake and whipped cream is very special. Blueberries explode into sweet, fragrant, jammy goodness that infuses the cake with its bold flavor.
No matter how busy you are, you'll have time to make this quick and delicious dump cake. This is a great recipe to have at hand for those occasions when you need to fix up dessert in a hurry. Blueberry dump cake is made with just a few simple ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- For the Cake:
- 1 (15-ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 10 tablespoons/1 1/4 sticks cold butter (plus more for the pan)
- 1 pound fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners sugar
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat the oven to 325 F. Thoroughly butter a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
Put the cake mix into a large bowl. Using a box grater, shred the cold butter into the dry ingredients. Toss to combine. Or cut the butter into small pieces with a pastry blender or mash through the tines of a fork. Work quickly to avoid melting the butter.
Add the blueberries to the butter and flour mixture and toss to distribute the blueberries. Dump into the pan.
Add the buttermilk and vanilla to a measuring cup with a spout. Stir to combine.
Pour the buttermilk mixture evenly over the dry mixture in the baking pan. Do not mix.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and the blueberries are bubbling. Remove from oven.
Prepare the whipped cream while the dump cake is cooling. In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the whipping cream and confectioners sugar until past the soft peak stage, but not quite stiff.
Serve the warm dump cake with a generous helping of whipped cream.
If you don't have boxed cake mix, or if you're the DIY type, use the recipe below to make your own cake mix from scratch. Mix everything together before tossing with the butter and berries.
- 180 grams granulated sugar
- 200 grams unbleached all-purpose flour
- 40 grams nonfat dry milk powder
- 5 grams salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- This recipe calls for fresh blueberries, but you can use frozen blueberries or even jarred pie-filling if you want to.
- If you're really in a rush, feel free to substitute ice cream for the whipped cream.