This is a rich and delicious French toast bake with cream cheese, fresh blueberries, and a blueberry sauce. Plan to prepare this the night before and refrigerate overnight.
- 12 slices bread (crusts removed)
- 2 packages cream cheese (16 ounces total)
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 12 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or other syrup)
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen blueberries)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cut the bread into 1-inch cubes and place half in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Cut cream cheese into 1-inch cubes and place over bread. Top with blueberries and remaining bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs.
- Whisk in milk and syrup, blending well. Pour egg mixture over bread mixture.
- Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover; bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until golden brown and the center is set.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; add water.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in blueberries; reduce heat.
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the berries have burst.
- Stir in butter until melted.
Serve the sauce with French toast.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|