This version of a truly American dessert consists of ripe, juicy fruit and a crunchy, sweet topping. This dessert takes it name from the crumbly mixture that bakes over the fruit into a crisp topping. Few things are as wonderful when it comes to seasonal summer eats as this blueberry peach crisp served warm and topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- For the Pie:
- 1 pint blueberries (fresh; rinsed and picked over)
- 2 pounds peaches (about 6 medium; peeled, pitted and sliced)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the Topping:
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons butter (cold and cut into small pieces)
- 3/4 cup oats (uncooked old-fashioned or instant rolled)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Put the blueberries, peaches, sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, lemon juice and cinnamon in a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Toss to mix and then spread the fruit mixture evenly in the dish.
- To make the topping, put the brown sugar and 3/4 cup flour into a medium bowl and stir to mix well.
- Using two knives or a pastry blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the oats with a fork.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit, then press down gently.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and lightly browned.
- Remove the crisp from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Note: To easily peel peaches, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Immerse the peaches in the boiling water for about a minute, then remove them with a slotted spoon and cool under cold running water. Use a paring knife to slip off the skins.
What could be more wonderful than a bowl of unadorned and perfectly fresh blueberries? That's hard to beat, but here are some ideas for a few ways to enjoy them at their best:
• Combine blueberries and fresh melon chunks and top with chopped fresh mint.
• Slice bananas and blueberries, mix with a dash of orange juice and sprinkle with cinnamon.
• Toss fresh pineapple chunks and blueberries with finely chopped crystallized ginger.
• Spoon fresh blueberries over rice pudding.
• Fill a ready-to-serve cookie pie crust with ice cream and top with a mixture of fresh blueberries and raspberries.
• Mash fresh blueberries and stir into slightly softened ice cream.
• Mix blueberries into a bowl of vanilla yogurt and top with crunchy granola.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|