Blueberries are a great flavor for tons of different frozen desserts. This blueberry sorbet recipe takes advantage of their natural sweetness to make a healthy and delicious dessert. It uses a little lemon juice and salt to enhance the flavors and balance the sweetness, so you will have sorbet that tastes like fresh, ripe fruit. These are my favorite kinds of sorbet recipes because they have such a bright flavor.
- 4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Heat the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. This should take about five minutes.
- Add the salt and lemon juice to the warm sugar syrup.
- Puree the liquid with the blueberries in a food processor or blender until completely smooth.
- Chill your blueberry sorbet base in the refrigerator until it is cold. At least an hour is a good idea, although you can also put this together before bed and refrigerate it overnight.
- Freeze the sorbet according to the directions of your ice cream freezer.
- Eat immediately or store in an air-tight container in the freezer until you are ready to serve it.
- Decide what kind of texture you want. If you want your blueberry sorbet to be even smoother, strain it after you puree the ingredients together. Using a fine-mesh strainer or cheesecloth will remove the seeds and skins, so you have a very smooth texture.
- There are tons of ways to use frozen fruit. You won’t be able to tell the difference between using fresh or frozen blueberries for this sorbet recipe. However, make sure that the blueberries don’t have added sugar and defrost the berries before you puree them so you get the right texture for the finished product.
- Although this recipe can be made with less sugar, it will impact the finished product. Fresh sorbets can get especially hard in the freezer if they don’t have plenty of sugar or a little alcohol in the recipe. If you plan on reducing the sugar, make sure to eat it right the way.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|