A lobster salad is an excellent choice for a luncheon or hot weather dinner. The salad can be served over lettuce leaves or used to fill sandwich buns.
If you're lucky enough to have a few freshly steamed lobsters, this is an excellent way to enjoy them. I enjoy lobster with butter, but a lobster salad is my favorite.
Arrange this lobster salad on lettuce leaves or mixed greens with avocado wedges or fresh sliced tomatoes around the edge of the plate. Or, use the lobster salad mixture to fill toasted hot dog rolls.
For how to boil or steam live lobsters, see the directions and timetables below the recipe.
- 1 pound lobster (cooked and diced; about 3 to 4 (1-pound) lobsters)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup celery (thinly sliced)
- 4 to 6 tablespoons mayonnaise (or to moisten)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Mixed salad greens (or lettuce leaves)
- Optional: 1 avocado (peeled, quartered, and brushed with lemon juice)
- Optional: tomatoes (sliced)
- Optional: cucumbers (sliced)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Toss the cooked, diced lobster meat with lemon juice and the celery.
- Gently stir in mayonnaise and then season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Mound the lobster salad on lettuce leaves with a wedge of avocado.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers for a satisfying lunch.
- This lobster salad can also be used as a sandwich filling. Line toasted hot dog buns with lettuce and fill with the salad.
How to Cook Lobsters
- Bring a large kettle of water to a rolling boil. Add about 1 tablespoon of kosher salt for each quart of water.
- With tongs, quickly lower the lobsters head first into the boiling water. They should be completely submerged.
- Cover the pot and bring the water back to a rolling boil as quickly as possible. When the water is boiling again, begin timing.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the lobsters are bright red.
Lobster Boiling Times
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds - 7 to 9 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds - 9 to 11 minutes
- 2 pounds - 11 to 12 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds - 12 minutes
- 3 pounds - 14 minutes
- Place a rack in a large pot. Add about 2 inches of salted water in the pot and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the lobsters, cover the pot, and begin timing.
- About halfway through the cooking time, lift the cover and shift the lobsters around with tongs.
- Replace the cover and continue cooking.
Lobster Steaming Times
- 1 to 1 1/4 pounds - 10 to 12 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds - 18 minutes
- 2 pounds - 18 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds - 22 minutes
- 3 pounds - 25 to 30 minutes
You Might Also Like
- Lobster Rolls: Make these delicious lobster rolls either way, with melted butter or with mayonnaise dressing.
- Lobster Newburg: This wonderful classic combination of lobster with a creamy sherry and butter sauce is the perfect dish for a special dinner. Serve it over toast points or in puff pastry shells.
- Creamed Lobster on Puff Pastry Shells: This creamy sauce is flavored with some Creole seasoning and Parmesan cheese.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|