This deeply rich sauce, bursting with sweet bourbon and tomato flavor is a great accompaniment to the chicken. Whether grilling breasts, thighs, or drumsticks, you'll fall in love with this bold, but the delicious chicken sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup Bourbon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup onion (pureed)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
In a medium saucepan, heat vegetable oil until hot.
Add the pureed onion and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.
Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a bubble and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow sauce to simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
Once the sauce is done, remove from heat and allow to cool before applying to chicken.
- If using later, allow mixture to cool completely, store in a sealed plastic container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. If using as a side sauce, reheat before serving.