|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
This is a delicious rotisserie pork roast recipe that you will want to make again and again. The secret is to let the rub soak into the meat overnight or at least for many hours. The rotisserie method of cooking keeps the meat moist and lets it slow cook to perfection
- 1 5-6 pound/2.5 kg boneless pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons/30 mL whole black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL paprika
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL onion powder
- 1 cup/240 mL bourbon
- 1/2 cup/120 mL light brown sugar
- 1 small onion, pureed
- 1/4 cup/60 mL ketchup
- 1/4 cup/60 mL corn syrup (preferably dark)
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL brown mustard
To make rub, place peppercorns and mustard seed in a coffee grinder. Pulverize into a medium grind and place in small bowl. Add remaining rub ingredients.
Season pork shoulder all over with rub, wrap in plastic, and place in refrigerate for 12 to 15 hours.
Remove roast from the fridge and let meat stand at room temperature 30-45 minutes before grilling. Season with kosher salt right before going onto the grill.
While roast is resting, whisk ingredients for mop in a medium bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
Preheat grill and follow instructions for using the rotisserie. Secure roast on rotisserie rod and cook over direct low heat for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. The internal temperature should be at least 145 F (63 C) when done.
After the first hour of cooking, apply mop every 20 minutes for the remainder of cook time. Remove roast from the rotisserie, cover with foil, and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.