Boursin cheese with herbs and vegetables make up the filling for these delicious stuffed chicken breast rolls. The shredded carrots and chopped walnuts give the stuffing its great flavor and color, while a simple coating of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese adds texture.
Feel free to omit the shredded carrots or add a different vegetable. Finely chopped green onions or chopped sauteed mushrooms are good alternatives. Or add more fresh herbs or a teaspoon or two of prepared pesto to the filling mixture.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 (5-ounce) package Boursin cheese (with garlic and herbs)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (divided)
- 1/2 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
- Place each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper. Pound them gently with the flat side of a meat mallet until flattened and quite thin. Alternatively, if chicken breasts are quite large, you may cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, making 2 cutlets from each chicken breast. Pound them until very thin.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the Boursin cheese with the flour until smooth. Stir in the shredded carrot, nuts, and half of the parsley. Place about one-quarter of the Boursin cheese mixture on each piece of chicken. Fold in two sides and roll the chicken up, burrito style. Press the edges together to seal.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining parsley, fine breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese.
- Brush the chicken rolls generously with the melted butter and then roll them in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place the chicken rolls in an 8-inch square baking dish, seam side down. Sprinkle with the remaining breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake the chicken rolls in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender. The chicken should register at least 165 F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Boursin Cheese Substitute: Combine 4 ounces of cream cheese with 1 ounce of butter. Mash about one-half of a small clove of garlic—or more, if you like—and add it to the cream cheese blend along with 1/2 teaspoon of minced parsley, 1/2 teaspoon of minced chives, and a dash of freshly ground black pepper. Blend the mixture thoroughly and use it in place of the Boursin cheese in the recipe. Add some other finely chopped fresh herbs if you have them on hand. Dill, thyme, and oregano are good choices as well. Chill the mixture for an hour or so for best flavor.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||89 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|