|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 35g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||68%|
|Total Carbohydrate 69g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||18%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Browned Italian sausage and tomatoes make a delicious homemade sauce for this bow tie pasta (farfalle).
Serve this pasta meal with crusty French bread or garlic bread and a tossed green salad.
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces bow-tie shaped pasta, or farfalle
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Gather the ingredients.
- Remove Italian sausage from casings; brown in a large heavy skillet, breaking Italian sausage up with spatula. Remove browned Italian sausage to paper towels to drain.
- Drain off all but about a tablespoon of the sausage drippings from the pan; add the onions and sauté, stirring until softened. Add minced garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Drain tomatoes, reserving liquid. Set the liquid aside.
- Add the drained tomatoes to the skillet with the onion and garlic and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the reserved tomato liquid to the skillet and then return Italian sausage to skillet with oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water following package instructions; drain and place on serving platter.
- Spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Toss lightly and serve.