This sweet braided bread ring has a creamy coconut filling and sugary glaze. The dough is buttery and brioche-like, similar to a sweet roll dough, and is very easy to work with.
In addition to a braided ring, the dough can be shaped in the same manner as cinnamon rolls - by rolling the dough out into a large rectangle, spreading most of the filling over the dough, rolling it into a cylinder, and cutting the cylinder into spiral slices. Place the rolls in a 9x13 inch pan to rise and bake, then glaze the rolls with the remaining filling when they are out of the oven.
Any leftovers are especially tasty when toasted and spread with butter.
- For the Dough:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 coconut
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- For the Filling/Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups coconut (sweetened shredded)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 12 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Place the shredded coconut in a shallow baking dish and toast in the oven, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Once cool, place the coconut in a food processor and pulse briefly to finely chop (or chop by hand). Set aside.
- Place the milk in a small saucepan with the cream of coconut and the sugar. bring the mixture t a simmer, then remove from heat.
- Place the butter in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Pour the warm milk and sugar mixture over the butter and let cool briefly. When the mixture has cooled enough that it is just warm to the touch, sprinkle the yeast over it and set aside for 5 minutes, or until yeast looks foamy.
- Add the eggs, 1 cup of flour, the salt, the vanilla, and the coconut flavoring, and mix on low speed until flour is incorporated. Add 3 more cups of flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix well. Knead for 5 minutes on medium speed. Add additional flour as needed to make smooth, stretchy, slightly sticky dough.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and cover loosely. Set dough aside to rise in a warm place for about an hour.
- While the dough rises, prepare the filling: Place the condensed milk, 3 tablespoons butter, cream, toasted coconut, and a pinch of salt into a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat until mixture just comes to a simmer. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and let cool briefly before adding the coconut flavoring. Set aside to cool.
- Shape the braided ring: Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide the dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece out into an approximate 5-inch x 8-inch rectangle. Take half of the cooled filling and divide it among the 3 rectangles, spreading it in a line in the center of the rectangle, leaving a 2-inch border on the long sides and a 1-inch border on the short side. Roll each piece of dough into a cylinder, enclosing the filling. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Extend each piece of dough into a longer cylinder by rolling it on the counter, with your hands starting in the middle and rolling out to each side. Let rest briefly, then roll again, until cylinders are about 24 inches long.
- Loosely braid the 3 pieces of dough (see how to braid bread dough), then attach the ends to form a ring. Place the ring on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover loosely and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and mix with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush the egg wash over the braid.
- Bake the bread until it is golden brown and puffed, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from heat and brush with remaining filling while the bread is still hot from the oven.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|