These braised butterflied pork chops are made with thick pork chops. We used chops that were about 1 1/2 inches in thickness to make the pictured dish. You could make this recipe with pork chops on the bone or thinner chops as well.
If you make this braised pork with bone-in or chops under 1 inch in thickness, there's no need to butterfly them.
The tart sauce complements the pork nicely, and it goes well with hot cooked rice or noodles. Add a salad or steamed vegetables for a tasty everyday dinner.
- 4 boneless pork chops. butterflied (if thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup beef broth, heated, preferably low sodium or unsalted
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped dill pickle
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter and the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the pork chops and brown on both sides. You might have to do this in two batches. Remove the chops to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan; add onion and saute for 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Add the flour and mustard. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. While stirring constantly, gradually add the heated beef broth, chopped pickle, and lemon juice. Continue to simmer, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Taste the sauce and add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Return the pork chops to skillet; spoon sauce over them. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until pork chops are tender.
Tips and Variations
- Use bone-in pork chops about 3/4- to 1-inch in thickness.
- The safe minimum temperature for pork is 145 F. Pork cooked over to temperatures greater than 170 F will probably be dry.
- Replace the pork chops with meaty country-style ribs, boneless or bone-in.
- When choosing pork chops, look for reddish-pink meat and white fat. Avoid grayish chops or chops with yellow fat.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||36 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|