Slow braising in the oven makes these meaty, country-style pork ribs tender and delicious.
It's an easy dish to prepare, and the oven does most of the work. Serve the ribs with mashed potatoes and your favorite side vegetables for a great everyday meal.
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds bone-in country style pork ribs (or about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds boneless)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 large onion (chopped or sliced)
- 1 large carrot (diced)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 3 to 4 medium cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- Heat the oven to 300 F (150 C/Gas 2).
- Sprinkle the pork ribs with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the ribs, in batches if necessary, and sear on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the onion, carrot, and celery. Cook, stirring until onion is translucent and lightly browned. Add the minced garlic and continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Add the ribs back to the pan. In a bowl, combine the cider, vinegar, chicken broth, and tomato paste; blend well. Add the bay leaves and thyme; pour over the ribs. Cover the Dutch oven and bake for 3 hours, or until very tender.
- Skim the fat from the juices and remove bay leaves. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed. If desired, thicken the juices (see note below).
- Serve the ribs with the vegetables and juices, along with boiled or mashed potatoes.
- Serves 4 to 6.
Note: To thicken the juices, combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour with 2 tablespoons of cold water, stirring until smooth. Bring the skimmed juices to a simmer on the stovetop; stir in the flour mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||45 g|
|Saturated Fat||14 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|