Here's a great way to enjoy a Chinese culinary staple. In this recipe medium or soft tofu and vegetables are braised in a simple, flavorful mixture of soy sauce, stock, and sugar, with a splash of Asian sesame oil added at the end.
- 1 pkg (14oz) House Premium or Organic Tofu, medium or soft
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked
- 5 white mushrooms, canned
- 1 large carrot, cooked
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp frozen snap peas or edamame
- 5 slices ginger root
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornstarch (mix with 1 tbsp water as paste)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1. Cut tofu into 10 square pieces. Cut shiitake mushrooms in half and white mushrooms into three pieces. Slice carrot thinly. Cut green onions into 2-inch pieces.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok. Fry Tofu until golden brown.
3. Slide tofu to the side of wok. Add green onions, shiitake mushrooms, and ginger. Fry until aroma emerges.
4. Add soy sauce, sugar, and stock. Cover and cook over medium heat until the tofu absorbs the flavor.
5. Add carrots, white mushrooms and snap peas in wok. Thicken with cornstarch paste and splash sesame oil on top. Serve hot.
Braised Tofu recipe by Chef Theresa Lin. Printed with permission of Nicole Kruse, Dentsu Communications.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|