Here's a great way to enjoy a Chinese culinary staple. In this recipe medium or soft tofu and vegetables are braised in a simple, flavorful mixture of soy sauce, stock, and sugar, with a splash of Asian sesame oil added at the end.
- 1 pkg (14oz) House Premium or Organic Tofu, medium or soft
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked
- 5 white mushrooms, canned
- 1 large carrot, cooked
- 2 green onions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp frozen snap peas or edamame
- 5 slices ginger root
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp cornstarch (mix with 1 tbsp water as paste)
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Cut tofu into 10 square pieces.
- Cut shiitake mushrooms in half and white mushrooms into three pieces.
- Slice carrot thinly.
- Cut green onions into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok.
- Fry tofu until golden brown.
- Slide tofu to the side of wok.
- Add green onions, shiitake mushrooms, and ginger.
- Fry until aroma emerges.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, and stock.
- Cover and cook over medium heat until the tofu absorbs the flavor.
- Add carrots, white mushrooms and snap peas to wok.
- Thicken with cornstarch paste and splash sesame oil on top. Serve hot.
Braised Tofu recipe by Chef Theresa Lin. Printed with permission of Nicole Kruse, Dentsu Communications.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|