B&B stands for Bénédictine D.O.M. and Brandy. Making the drink really is as simple as mixing the two spirits. One of the best classic cocktails, it is an icon of sophisticated drinking and makes an ideal after-dinner drink or nightcap.
A B&B is often served on the rocks. Some drinkers prefer it straight up and others like it slightly warmer. It is almost always served in a brandy snifter, which captures the aroma and enhances the enjoyment of drinking it.
The producers of Bénédictine also make a pre-mixed B&B which is really good. However, if you have a favorite brandy, you will find a made-from-scratch B&B the better option.
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the liquors into a brandy snifter.
Add ice if you like. Serve and enjoy.
- The B&B is an excellent way to enjoy a fine brandy. The simple mix will enhance any sipping brandy and show off it's more elegant characteristics. Then again, Bénédictine can also transform a less expensive brandy into a very enjoyable drink.
- If you pour cognac, the drink is called a Cognac and Bénédictine.
- You can also use the back of a bar spoon to gently float the brandy on top of the liqueur.
- Snifters have a deep bowl, so swirling the drink around in the glass is a great way to mix it, too. It wakes up the aroma and flavor as you drink.
- If you prefer a slightly warmed B&B, partially fill the snifter with warm water and let it rest for a few minutes. Discard the water before adding the spirits.
- A very similar drink, the beautiful cocktail mixes cognac with Grand Marnier.
What Is B&B Liquor?
Bottles of B&B are a pre-mixed version of this cocktail. Produced by Bénédictine, it's a blend of 60 percent Bénédictine liqueur and 40 percent French brandy that's aged in French oak barrels and bottled at 40 percent ABV (80 proof). B&B was first made in 1937, making it one of the oldest bottled cocktails. It can simply be served on the rocks but also makes an excellent addition to hot and cold coffee drinks, including the affogato, an Italian gelato-espresso dessert. Some cocktail recipes, such as the peary bird, use it as an ingredient just like any other liqueur.
How Strong Is the B&B?
Enjoying a B&B is more about the experience than how much alcohol you're taking in. It's meant to be enjoyed slowly and savored for its exquisite taste, but it's also good to realize that it is strong. Most brandy is 80 proof, as is Bénédictine, so if you mix the two without ice, the B&B is 80-proof as well. A bit of dilution from ice knocks it down slightly, to about 34 percent ABV (68 proof).