The Brave Bull is the tequila version of a Black Russian and if you enjoy that simple drink, you will find this one to be just as enjoyable. The drink is, quite simply, tequila and Kahlua and it is a fantastic sipper for happy hour or dessert.
The combination of tequila and coffee liqueur is a great one as the two flavors are natural companions. As with many vodka-turned-tequila cocktails, there is an extra flavor dimension that only the agave of tequila can bring to the mix. We've seen it in the Bloody Maria as well as the Juan Collins and tequila certainly does not disappoint in the Brave Bull.
- Pour the tequila into an old-fashioned glass with ice cubes.
- Add the Kahlua.
- Swirl the glass gently a few times to lightly mix the ingredients before serving.
3 Tequilas to Try in the Brave Bull
The simplicity of the Brave Bull calls for careful consideration of the ingredients. Most of you will choose Kahlua (though I do encourage you to explore more coffee liqueurs), so it's just a matter of choosing the tequila.
This doesn't have to be your best blanco tequila, but it also shouldn't be the worst on the liquor shelf. With only two ingredients in the recipe, a bad tequila will show and it might prevent you from enjoying the drink in its true light. Opt for a decent blanco (or upgrade to a reposado) that you wouldn't mind sipping on its own.
- Corazon Blanco Tequila - This is a personal favorite and I will recommend it for almost any tequila cocktail. Though I do prefer their aged tequilas, the richness of this brand from Los Altos region of Jalisco sets it apart from many of its counterparts. You will spend around $30 for a bottle and it is worth every penny.
- Corralejo Blanco Tequila - For less than $30, you will enjoy the crisp taste of this tequila in any of your favorite drinks. It is bottled straight off the copper pot still and is what the distiller calls 'The Truth' because it is so true to the flavor and spirit of tequila.
- 1800 Silver Tequila - You can find this tequila in almost any liquor store and its priced right around $20. This is a fantastic choice for your everyday tequila drinks because it has a clean taste and is affordable for most budgets.
How Strong is the Brave Bull?
The Brave Bull is made with minimal mixing in a similar way that you might enjoy a scotch on the rocks. That makes the dilution of the two liqueurs insignificant and because of that, this is a rather strong drink.
In fact, if you pour an 80-proof tequila, the Brave Bull comes down to just below the bottling proof, somewhere around 31% ABV (62 proof).
It is a delicious drink but it's also one that can bite you if you're not careful.
More Tequila and Coffee Cocktails
If you're in the mood for more tequila and coffee drinks, you do have a few options.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|