These sweet and tangy bread and butter pickles are always a favorite, and they're easy to prepare and can. If you have your jars and equipment clean and in place, it's a snap! This version makes 7 to 8 pints. The sweet red bell peppers make them colorful and tasty.
Slice the pickles and other vegetables about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness. The vegetables are soaked in brine for about 3 hours, so plan your time accordingly. You should also make sure that you have plenty of ice ready to cover the vegetables while brining.
You might also like this recipe for bread and butter pickles with no bell peppers, which makes about 6 pints.
- 4 quarts pickling cucumbers (sliced)
- 4 medium white onions (quartered and sliced)
- 2 large red bell peppers (sliced into 2-inch lengths)
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Place the cucumbers, onions, and peppers in a large stainless steel, ceramic, or glass bowl. Sprinkle with the salt, toss lightly and cover with ice. Let stand at room temperature for 3 hours.
- Prepare and sterilize jars, lids, equipment, and workspace.
- Drain the vegetables in a colander and rinse well with cool water.
- In a large stainless steel pot, combine the vinegar, granulated and brown sugars, mustard seeds, celery seeds, cloves, and turmeric. Bring to a full boil. Add the drained cucumber mixture and bring back to a boil.
- Fill the hot sterilized jars with the mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe rims, place lids on the jars and seal. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. See the boiling water processing guide for specific instructions for filling jars and processing.
Makes 7 to 8 pints.
High Altitude Time Adjustments
- 1.001 to 3,000 feet: Add 5 minutes to the processing time.
- 3,001 to 6,000 feet: Add 10 minutes to processing time.
- 6,001 to 8,000 feet: Add 15 minutes to the processing time.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|