- 5 slices white bread, crust trimmed
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly butter a shallow 12x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Butter the bread slices generously with the softened butter. Cut each slice into 4 squares. Sprinkle raisins over the bottom of the prepared baking dish then arrange bread squares, buttered side up, over raisins. Sprinkle bread with the cinnamon.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, scald the milk just until bubbles form around edge; remove from heat. Add sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in hot milk mixture then stir in vanilla.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture over the bread in baking dish.
- Set baking dish in a larger baking pan then add about 1/2 to 1 inch of very hot water to the larger pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove baking dish from the larger pan of water and let cool for about 15 minutes before serving.
Can be served warm or cold with a dessert sauce or other topping.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|